Day 41-3: Trump

DAY 41-3: TRUMP

"Leda! I'm so glad you're all right!"

Being throttled into a hug first thing upon entering the prince's room is the last thing Leda could've anticipated. Yet, here she is, in Avel's arms, him grinning goofily from ear to ear.

"A-Avel?" Fumbling for words, she blinks rapidly. "Um..."

"I was so worried." Retreating via a push to the shoulders, he pouts. "I couldn't focus all day knowing I put you in even greater danger. How are you? You're fine, right? Did anyone mistreat you in any way?"

Stunned, Leda's mouth flaps, wordlessly, her heart warming in her chest.

See! her mind shouts. Avel is kind. There's no way this is fake!

The thought shatters her previous apprehension.

Yeah. Whatever Hadey told her was baloney. Looking back, there's no reason why Leda should've been obliged to believe her. Everything stated in their conversation could've been lies she fabricated just to screw her over.

"By the way, Leda," Avel says once he unhands her. "What's that in your hand?"

Snapping to her senses, she momentarily recalls the bag furled tightly in her fingers. She extends it. "Oh. Valentina wanted me to give this to you."

His face flickers with delight. "She did? I've been begging for these parts all day!"

Beaming, he sets it aside on the table behind them.

"I wonder what changed her mind? Did something put her in a good mood?"

Before Leda can get a word in about her nightmarish experience—or ask him about Ro—a low titter pervades the room.

"My, my. Isn't she cute."

Leda's shoulders square as her eyes dart in the direction of the doorway. The individual standing at the threshold of the large doors wears a wide smile. Her red dress is unique, alongside her bright orange hair and diamond-shaped green eyes.

"Remi!" Avel's proclamation is instantaneous. He hastens to her side. "You came to visit!"

The small-statured girl uses a fancifully decorated fan to cover her broad smile. "I was waiting for you to join us during lunch but you never showed up. I got a little concerned because my attendants notified me that you'd locked yourself up in your room since yesterday."

He sheepishly laughs. "I was working on a little something." He catches Leda's staring and his eyebrows rise. "Oh, Leda. This is Remi. Princess of the Dia Kingdom."

A greeting should've been in order. However, Leda can't pry her eyes from the pointy ears sticking out of her head. "A... fox?"

Not only that. Three miniature animals identifying as such donning matching orange fur, coddle the area around her feet, gazing at Leda with big, beady eyes.

Finding her gawping amusing, Avel says, "Trust me. It suits her."

Remi chuckles. "You shouldn't spread such terrible things about your future wife."

The distaste that morphs Avel's face is clear as day.

"Hmm," she muses, fluttering her lengthy eyelashes, "are you still against it? You know it's in the best interest for both our kingdoms."

"Ah, but I really, really want to marry Leda!" He puffs his cheeks. "It's not fair."

Leda stiffens. "Avel!"