Prologue

YOU ARE FREE TO MAKE WHATEVER CHOICE YOU WANT,BUT YOU ARE NOT FREE FROM THE CONSEQUENCES OF THE CHOICE.

PROLOGUE : Adriana's pov

"I want you to be my wife".

My life was filled with a lot of things right now, most of which was still hard for me to identify. I mean I was happy living average but the urge for me to do something bigger was present. My family treasure me a lot and I felt like if I couldn't try to crown all their hard work with my success I would be an ungrateful daughter but I could think of nothing to do in this situation. I mean although they want for me to be myself and not try to be a people pleaser but how could I with this self-absorbing boss of mine. So many emotions filled my entire being at this moment. Was he alright? maybe it's because he missed his morning coffee. There was nothing in my job description about getting married. I could withstand his arrogant ass but now he was making me seem stupid.

Otherwise who wakes up one day and decide it 'fool your secretary day'. It wasn't normal at least to me it wasn't. We were never on the term of us bring jovial with one another.

"WHAT?" I spat out. I was confused to a point where that was the only sentence I could think of. Acting like what I just said was the most annoying thing to him, he rolled his eyes and sighed inwardly. I definitely heard him wrong, right?

"Marry me "he said again with no emotion in his eyes. Nope I didn't. Never in my life had I imagined that I would be proposed to like this and again by somebody I totally disliked. He had never shown any affection towards me or anyone since I have known him and I have known him for three years now. This sudden proposal was too much to process.

"Okay sir. I understand you do not need to go through all this trouble to tell me, my time with this company has been good and truly I would've loved to continuing working here but since it has come to this, Thank you so much sir.

With that being said, I made my way to the door thinking of how to break the news to my parents who were really happy when I got a job here. Although I believe it's all for the better as I was getting closer to losing my patience as my boss was as annoying as a crying baby. No offense babies.

"I never said you were fired and did you seriously think I would say that if I were to fire you, I needn't call you to my office for that. You have worked with me for three years and still do not understand I have better things to do." The only statement I heard was I wasn't fired. I turned on my heels and stared at him like he had grown a new head. Why wasn't he going to fire me? Why did he sprout such nonsense if he wasn't going to fire me? If I wasn't confused earlier now I surely was, was he being serious? Why would he want to marry me?

Like he had heard me he began, "I only need you to be my wife for a year then we can get divorced. It simply a contract marriage nothing more or less. We would act as the perfect couple to everyone around us for a year." I never thought I would ever get married to my boss. He is one of the richest men in the country and very handsome if I should say as he was always on the magazine cover and won most handsome businessman for four years straight. I always have admired him for the way he presents himself. Although it is assumed he got to where he is because of his father, he has done enough for people to acknowledge the fact that he worked his way to the top.

Even if I admired him it didn't mean I would want to get married to him. If he needed a wife, he could always ask the model Sarah Kadituni who always waltzed in here like it was her living room, why did he need to ask me? "I understand what you just said but why do I need to be your wife could you not ask anyone else" I emphasized. "Look, as much as a lot of people want me as their husband, it doesn't mean I want them around me. I chose you not because I have any attraction for you but because you have been working with me for years now. You know what I like and dislike so all I need from you is your answer, and the rest would be sorted out." Well, when its put that way am less confused. "Before I reply you, I would like to ask why you need a wife for a year? What would happen if I declined? And what I get for participating in this if I accept?" I knew I was asking a lot of questions but I could not be blamed. I should have known this day was going to be confusing when I hit my head on my kitchen counter. How it happened is something I would take along with me to my grave so let's skip that.

He supported his head with his palm and rubbed his temples, it seemed as though he was having a migraine. Nevertheless, he looked me in the eye and said "I need to do this to get my father off my back for a while and convince him marriage is not for me before he fixes my marriage to Sarah Kadituni. If you were to refuse my offer, you would be fired after this month but if you accept, you would receive three million dollars after the year but during the year you would receive two hundred and fifty dollars every month excluding all your expenses. So you would be given a total of six million dollars during and after the course of this marriage." His cold eyes stared at me waiting for my reply. I was just a little bit close to fainting, only if I had known being a contract wife was this expensive I would have not been here. Although this offer was tempting, was I ready to sell myself to my arrogant boss for a year and be considered his wife?

If I accepted I would get to pay the tuition for my younger brother's medical school and would have more than enough to help my mom pay for her leg surgery. Would I be able to explain the source of this money and would they be proud of me when they heard how I got it? But I couldn't even say no for I needed to support my family financially. I could always look for a new job though.

"Sir, my answer would be..."

Word count:1,995

Thank you for reading this chapter.. Please do vote and comment. 

Only constructive criticism is allowed and appreciated.

Desiree Kings.