New Year's Eve

this one is literally so long for actually no reason skjdfskjdfh i got so carried away writing this

George was surprised to find himself in his crush's college dorm, a place full of drunk 22 year olds and loud music that had no mercy for anyone's attempt to yell over it. His friend Darryl had dragged him to the New Year's Eve party that had been the biggest topic on campus for about a week. "Everyone is going," he had said, "Clay is hosting it." he had added, "This is your last year here and you haven't gone to a single dorm party! It will be a great experience!" He persuaded effectively. And persuaded he had accomplished because he had begged the British man enough to annoy him into saying yes. 

There were faces he hadn't seen on campus, faces with different personalities there than in classrooms, and faces he recognized as some of the popular kids. George, himself, was not popular. He knew people, people knew him, but that was about it apart from Darryl. Darryl was his only real friend on campus, even though he had a different friend group, a friend group that included his crush, Clay. 

That tall, blonde idiot who he had the pleasure of talking to only once for less than a second stole his heart. To George, Clay was amazing, unique, outstanding, gorgeous and everything in between. However, to Clay, George was surely nothing. He had no reason to really get to know him unless they were to ever hang out with Darryl at the same time, which was never. Clay was a cool guy; athletic, charming, smart. He had a good amount of friends, he was respectful to students and professors, and he had a lot to offer academically and personally.

George thought he was just perfect, but he could only admire from afar. He would see him in his computer sciences class, always sitting in the top left of the room with his best friend, Nick. He would see him jogging around campus on certain days when the Florida heat didn't fry everyone. He would see him going to his dorm that was just across the way from his own with his friends and hear laughs and screams of excitement muffled from the walls. 

There was no way Clay even had a single recollection of the brunette, let alone even know his name. So when the gorgeous man approached him and Darryl while they talked about nonsense in the corner of the living room, George froze in fear. He could feel his face heating up and the grip on his solo cup tighten, slightly splashing a bit of fruit punch in the air. "Hey, Dream!" That was his nickname, he had learned, "This party has been so much fun!" Darryl greeted with his signature, toothy smile which everyone adored.

"I'm glad you're enjoying it! What about you, George?" Clay asked coolly. He held a solo cup with some type of alcohol, but he was far from drunk. George would have argued that he was the most sober if it weren't for his racing heart in his chest distracting him. "Uh- it's pretty good, I guess.." he answered timidly, already cringing at his own voice for even daring to lose its bearings. "Awe, well, I hope it gets better! It's your first party right? Have some fun, loosen up a bit!" He ran a hand through his golden locks and smiled brightly. 

George felt himself tense up and a familiar fluttering of butterflies filling his stomach appeared. He wanted to punch his gut and his heart to make them stop but that definitely would've been a weird response to what his crush had said. "I-I'll try.." he muttered and trained his eyes to the floor. He only hoped Clay would leave so he could let his steam out. When the blonde man nodded, took a sip of his beverage and wandered back into the makeshift dance floor, he sighed in relief. 

Darryl immediately turned to him with a large smile on his face. "You talked to him!" He patted the brunette's back proudly. George still felt like he was suffocating on his own air while his face was on fire. "Bad- that was so embarrassing.. I was so awkward!" He whined in frustration, slapping a hand over his face as if to wipe it away. "How did he even know my name?!" The question was answered with a bundle of giggles.