son hak x reader (request!)

prompt: as the princess' close friend, you understood that hak was just doing his job; but as his wife, you were sick of being treated like this.

thank you so much for requesting! GloryMidNight  this was lowkey so much fun to write! 

reminder that if any of you have a specific character in mind you want me to write for, the requests can be done on the very first part of this 'book'! (there you'll also find some rules, nothing major tho dw)

-

You tried not to mind it at first.

The princess had just lost everything, from her father to her old life, and your husband was the only thing that kept her tied to that; aside from being her bodyguard, Hak had been one of her first friends. Even when Soo won, the love of her life, had betrayed her, he had stuck by her side, a promise made to the King to always protect Yona.

And yet, as soon as their new life had started, everything between you and your lover seemed to have gone downhill; the fiery princess had begun to cling to him more than ever before, her cheeks often flushed as she asked him to accompany her everywhere, whether it was to go hunting or even to sleep in the same tent (yes, that had unfortunately happened). What had been even worse, was that Hak hadn't even minded, simply teasing her a little as he completely turned his back to you. Were you not enough?

You were more than aware of your husband's supposedly old love for Yona, and while he had promised he had lost any kind of feeling (that wasn't strictly platonic), you couldn't help but wonder if he was somehow doing this on purpose. Had you done something wrong? You didn't recall so.
You always tried to be supportive of everything he did, and you couldn't remember a time when you had stepped out of the line while talking to your other male companions (who lately, had been much more polite and fun to be with than your grumpy husband).

You had tried to talk with Hak about it a couple of times now, but he always dismissed that as pure jealously on your account; you had even thought of confronting Yona about it, but you knew better- the princess most likely didn't understand that she was overstepping the line, and certainly would have never done so on purpose.

-

The food had gone cold by the time you had brought your attention back to it. You weren't even that hungry anymore, the pit in your stomach making you feel nauseous as you watched them act so friendly towards each other, for what seemed the thousandth time that day; even though Yoon had decided to stop for a little and relax, Hak had done nothing but spend time with the red haired girl, completely ignoring you, as if you were nothing but mere acquaintances.
It felt like needles all over you body, tears threatening to come out every time- he didn't notice though, and he kept avoiding you, as if nothing was wrong.

"Oi, you have to eat at least something you moron." You smiled weakly at Yoon, grateful for all the support he had given you in the past few weeks; he had also offered to go talk to 'the stupid beast', as he liked to call him, but you had protested against it- he didn't deserve to get dragged into this mess, not when he had been so nice to you.

"Don't worry, I have eaten plenty already. Besides, I don't know if having a full stomach will be a good thing tonight, not when I am about to talk to him." The boy paled a little, making sure you were certain of what you were about to do- he didn't need much convincing though, the look in your eyes was a dead giveaway that you were ready for whatever would be the outcome.

If he really didn't want to be with you anymore, then so be it, but you weren't going to let him play these games on you anymore, you didn't deserve that. Not after you had left your old parents behind to flee with your friends, not when you could have just lived a good and peaceful life.
You were sick of being treated like nothing, like you were just some doll to use when his favorite choice wasn't available.

And so, you approached him, staring at him dead in the eye as you asked him to talk; you didn't bother explaining anything, not when Yona was right beside you two- she was a sweet girl, but sometimes she really needed to learn how to mind her own business.

-

"So, are we just gonna keep walking?"

You tried to pay no mind to his tone of voice, your posture rigid as you put as much distance as possible from the campsite; if things were going to evolve like you expected them to, you didn't want to bother your friends- they didn't deserve it, not after being such amazing and caring people.

"Hey, would you mind-"

"If you could be so patient Hak, I'll tell you everything in a minute. I just don't want to force our companions into hearing us argue."

He scoffed, stopping to lean on a tree as he waited for you to speak.

"So, I wanted to speak about our relationship. Do you really still love me?" You tried not to crumble under the weigh of his silence, your eyes dampening as you tightened your fists.

"Of course I do you idiot! What- what makes you think I don't?" It took all your strength not to give up at that moment- the desperation was thick in his voice, his hands gripping on your arms as he walked up to you; he made you look into his eyes, seemingly trying to understand why you'd ever come to the conclusion that he had lost feelings for you.

"Hak, when was the last time we've spent time together? It didn't have to be something excessive, but you haven't even come near me on your own volition in days! You've spent the last week-" You had to stop for a second, your own words getting chocked up as you tried to start again, just to fail miserably. Was this really going to be the end for you?

You had been so happy when he had finally asked you to marry him, so to be in such a situation made you feel so much pain and anger; you loved Hak so much, it felt like the world would come to an end if he were to abandon you.

(back on my khunbam shit😌)

"Please Hak... please tell me the truth and spare me the pain. I... I don't think I can do this any longer if you put no effort in us." All you could do was cry, as he looked at you speechless, his heart racing as he desperately tried to find a way to fix everything.

He couldn't afford to lose you as well, he wouldn't be able to just take the blow and move on; you were so important to him, and to come to the realization that yes, he had actually done such fucked up things to you made him so disgusted in himself- what kind of husband was he? Where was the man that had promised both to you and himself to never let you get hurt, to always cherish you as his most important one?

"As of now-" he had to remind himself not to let his emotions get the best of him; he needed to set things straight, for both of your sake and of your relationship's.

"-There isn't anything I can say that will make this look better, and I don't want to. I have been neglecting you and our marriage, and while I might not have noticed, this doesn't mean I should just sweep this situation under the rug. If- if you're patient enough... I want to make things right and treat you like you deserve. I can tell you without a doubt that you're the love of my life, and I won't just let you go- I'm too selfish for that and you know it. Will you please give me one last chance?"

You simply nodded, the tears streaming down your face making it impossible for you to speak anything remotely understandable at that moment.
You weren't sure yet if he really deserved another possibility, but you were so in love with him and so ready to do everything again, even if it meant going back to the start.

If he really meant what he said, he was going to prove it to you, and you couldn't wait for him to do so.

Oh, the lengths you'd go to for this man.

-

y'all don't know how much I love this anime, and the fact that this is def the longest oneshot I've every written proves it!!
honestly tho I love akanoyona so much, so even if hak is not my fave it was still a delight to write for him!!

+yeah I didn't upload yesterday ops
I didn't want to waste a whole ass part just to tell y'all I couldn't post so I just said it on my message board ops :)

n e ways I'm torn between posting fluff or angst tomorrow ops
we'll see we'll see