Ch. 1 - The Only Way

Francine

"Come on, darling; the plane's going to leave us soon," I yelled. It's never easy to be part of a wealthy family because all the attention is on you. You have to dress up when going to parties elegantly, you have to have excellent manners, and most importantly, care for a loving daughter.

At her age, she acts more mature than anyone from her age group, and it is one of the things that I am proud of as her mother.

"One second! I'm coming," Lance yelled back from the upstairs bathroom, probably taking his time to do his slick hairdo. He says that it scares off customers when he goes to the office because they think we're a vampire family: pale skin, waxed hair, almost as sharp teeth. Evie would compare TV vampires to us, and she says that we look even more realistic than in the movies.

Instead of a smile printed on her face, it was more of a frown.

"Do you guys have to go?" She implored. "I mean, can't one of you go, and the other stays here with me?" Her eyes twinkle as a sudden urge to grumble came to break her composure.

It's always like this. She never seems to get used to the fact that her father and I have business trips every month, and it's still just for three days. And after knowing that thieves exist and have been intending on robbing our home or kidnapping her, she gained trauma from our past experiences because when the Roberts family comes together, it is never a dull moment at the manor.

"For the last time, darling. The trip will only take a few days." I say as calmly as possible. Treating my shot nerves with a fraud grin.

"But what if something happens to both of you. I wouldn't know straight away," she cried.

Her eyes watered as she paced with her hands going all over the place, marveling about whatever could go wrong. If I were to answer, I'd say every possible thing that could happen, even if that possibility resulted in death.

"Nothing like that will ever happen, " I stroked her pink, rosy cheek, attempting to get the suspicion away from her mind. Because honestly? Nothing is going on.

"Besides, we're the Roberts family. Whatever happens in the future, I promise you; we'll be safe." A smile crept along the side of her mouth as I pull her in for a mama bear hug.

"What about me? I want to join in too." Lance appears on the staircase and extended his arms wide enough that all three of us fit in his embrace.

"Alright, " I say after wiping escaped tears from my eyes. "We better get going." Turning to Evie, I added, "Oh, and honey, don't forget. Damon's arriving a bit." She nodded and followed us outside.

"I know, I know. You weren't just going to call him a babysitter again, were you?"

"Pfft, of course not, sweetheart." I chuckled.

In her case, she'll be down-right upset once she realized what was going on in her parent's heads. And I hope she doesn't dare to take revenge because, knowing that little secluded brain of hers, she'll never accept an apology unless that person gets what they deserve. It's almost the scariest but an efficient trait of hers.

As we walked towards the outside, the cab driver enters the front gate. He greeted us and decided to help us with the last few pieces of baggage.