030 : "mistakes"

chapter thirty

season six , episode twenty ; sacrifice

where they make amends

Hailey was adjusting her boot laces when she had heard Trudy Platt walk in. Her leg was fine , it was only going to leave some bruising but that was about it and she was ready to go home.

"Hey." Hailey told her before finishing with her laces and sitting up looking at Platt who looked at her.

"I won't ask you how your leg is doing because you all say your fine , if you are or if you aren't."

Hailey smiled with a nod , the unit was made of more than tough cookies.

"But how are you otherwise ?"

Hailey looked away from her , placing her elbows on her thighs , looking down.

"You mean Adam ?"

"Yeah , I've noticed a little tension." Trudy said to her and Hailey sighed. She had knew that Trudy had heard the conversation between Hailey and Adam but she was hoping Trudy would stay out of it. She knew better because Trudy had a mother son relationship with Adam so she wasn't going to let it go.

Trudy walked to the opposite bench and sat down.

"I'm going to give some advice because for a young woman , I am wise beyond my years." Trudy admitted causing Hailey to smile softly at her joke. "Look , if Adam's the one , then make it work. But that means one of you will probably have to leave the unit."

The possibility made Hailey sick to her stomach but sometimes the truth hurts. Under her calling of patrol , she had to admit to herself that it was because she didn't want Adam to get hurt , now that he was back. She had hard time the last couple of months in robbery and homicide and she didn't want to go back because Intelligence felt like home.

"This is a very tiny needle you are trying to thread on." Trudy said as Hailey looked at her.

"I know......and if neither of us are willing to make that sacrifice ?"

"Then what you two have , isn't genuinely that special enough for you two to sabotage your careers for."

Hailey looked down and Trudy got up , placing a hand on her shoulder softly before walking out , leaving Hailey alone.

She had to fight for them or to tell them go and she didn't know which one she wanted.

Hailey got up and had made her way back down to the basement. Wrapping her hair in a ponytail , Adam's voice had stopped her.

"Hey Hailey ?"

"Yeah ?"

She had turned to him and it seemed like it was deja vu all over again when they decided to a break all those months ago.

"I should've not caught an attitude with you about you making that call-"

"I messed up on us Adam. I really did." Hailey admitted to him. "I can't keep doing this to us , dragging you along, I-"