The Epilogue

Ember walks the familiar route to the graves of her best friends. Well, the grave of one, and the marker of another. Although, one might not actually be dead. Who knows.

She lays flowers down on each grave, removing the old ones. One year ago, Ember and her father followed Autumn Rosalie Sillens’ wishes, and cremated her body. Her ashes were spread throughout the desert. Across her real home.

Before Autumn sacrificed herself, she said goodbye to Phoebe. Wouldn’t it have been “Hello”? Phoebe is dead… but now Ember is not quite sure. 

Ember cried when she received her letter from her sister. She was not aware that tributes could do that. Maybe it was new this year, or the Rebellion was able to give her pen and paper. Through the letter, Ember saw Autumn’s determination. She could almost feel Autumn’s hatred of the Capitol, and of Snow, through the letter. Ember could also feel Autumn’s commitment to her task. After reading it, Ember knew that she would never see her sister again. But it was alright, now. Autumn did what she promised.

“Thank you, Autumn. You saved me,” Ember whispers.

After the 74th Hunger Games, riots started. Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark are the first duo victors of the Games. That is grand and all, but Ember has lost a second sister. For her, the 74th Hunger Games will always result in sadness, even though it sparked hope for many others. Rumors say that District 11 refused to work then, and are still refusing. District 5 is continuously slowing down production time, making the Capitol become very flustered with their slower power.

The 75th Hunger Games have just been announced. Tributes will be reaped from the previous victors: Ember is saved from another year. This also means that Katniss Everdeen will be in the Arena, so the Rebellion will continue to grow. Ember is certain that President Snow wants Katniss Everdeen dead, since she would too if she were the ruler of her perfect society.

Autumn’s actions lead to Katniss Everdeen’s survival, which in turn saved Ember from being Reaped into the Games for another year.

With a hopeful heart, Ember leaves the graves of her sisters. Even if Phoebe is alive, Ember and Phoebe will never be reunited. Ember knows this. She also knows that the Games will be over soon. Forever. Ember also holds one value true to her heart:

 For the power of the People is forever greater than the power of the Powerful.

No matter how small the People are, or how grand the Powerful are, the People always win.