Chpt 3 fire away

Liams p.o.v

I'm not popular. I mean I'm friends with everyone but I'm not "popular" I'm not mean or a leader of a pack I'm just likeable. All the teachers love me. I'm in year 12 at the moment so our cohort is kind of a family so it's hard not to be liked.

My little sister Kat however is in year 10. Since Highschool she's never really had many friends. Although she was never down about it. Except recently I've noticed she has been more quiet. She's always quiet at school because well actually I don't know why. But at home she's always been bubbly and cooky and you'd never not hear her laugh. However lately she always has her headphones in meaning she wants to leave the thoughts in her mind.

"Hey kit," I tugged her headphones out and earned a glare.
"What?"
"You okay?"
"I'm fine" she smiled. She keeps saying that she's alright but I can see it through her fake smile she's not.
"Kit you're a horrible liar." She blinked a few times, forcing back the tears that had been threatening to spill for a long time.
"Hey, what's wrong?" I was now sat next to her on her king size bed.
"I'm fine, it's stupid anyway I'm just a baby. Seriously I'm fine." She tried to smile but I could tell there was something wrong and the way she was looking at me, it was definitely somewhat my fault.
"Did I do something wrong?"
"No no, well not directly."
"What does that mean?" I tried my best to make my voice reassuring and let her trust me. Not that she doesn't.
"It's just. You're so amazing, like I already knew that obviously but like everyone thinks you're perfect. I'm not saying that you are flawed or anything but I wish you were and that doesn't make sense but like it's hard to live up to the expectations. I'm not as good as you. I'm not you." She quickly rambled these words. I don't try to be perfect I'm not perfect I'm just me.
"Kit, you are better than me, you are your own person and that person is beautiful and if people don't love her then they don't see what I do." She looked up at me, her smiling facade broken and she looked so small in that moment. So fragile and I just want to be able to protect her.

Suddenly she crashed into my chest. I took a second to register she was there but then I wrapped my arms around her and held her tighter than I ever have before.

"Kat?"
She hummed in response.
"You know, even If I don't understand you can always talk to me. You might think that I don't listen but I do."
"Thankyou, seriously you are the best brother. It's hard to hate you." I chuckled resting my chin on the crown of her head.
Eventually she fell asleep so I laced her down and left her room.