FIFTEEN ━ ❝wailing woman❞

◤ chapter fifteen: ❛ wailing woman ❜ ◢

chapter fifteen: ❛ wailing
woman ❜ ◢

        NORA WHITTEMORE TAUGHT HER SON THE TOOLS OF NEGOTATION. Be friendly not combative, smile politely, treat them like a friend before snapping like an enemy, then walking away with some gains while calculating the losses. Patience, she stressed, was the most important aspect. Patience and understanding.

         Cooper was all out of patience though. More murderers committed with no new prospects, dead end after dead end, and the realization that Deucalion might want to expand his pack from just Alphas to a siren. Cora Hale had set off a fuse in him and he didn't know how to quell it; only how to move forward and let it simmer.

         Scott placed a hand on his shoulder, easily shrugged off, and sent him questioning gazes. Concern, mostly, but also assessing how likely Cooper was going to blow his top. Still, Scott didn't object to going to meet Morrell with him, nor did he try to dissuade Cooper from joining.

         He didn't speak up, letting Scott control the meeting. Cooper had never been a negotiator or interrogator, to his mother's disappointment, but Scott was friendly. He drew people in with simple charisma, had puppy-like features, and was well-liked. Liked more than Cooper, at least.

         "Why are you bothering me when you know the clock is ticking?" Morrell eyed them, a pleasure in her eyes as she smirked, "When you know someone else is about to be taken?"

         He balled his hand into a fist. Cooper placed his hand above him, motioning for him to calm down. He didn't, but he did stuff his hand in the pocket of his hoodie.

         "By you," Scott accused.

         Morrell scoffed. "Come on, Scott – shouldn't you leave the interrogation to someone like Stilinski."

         "You're going to tell us," Cooper interjected, staring dead at her, "Either willingly or I'll make you."

         "Oh, the siren's grown a backbone."

         His statements amused her more, quick with the smirk turning to a smile and mirth flickering in her eyes.

         "I could make you deaf with one whistle."

         The threat was clear. She almost laughed.

         "Are you the one killing people?" Scott asked.

         "Are you listening to my heartbeat?" Morrell shot back mockingly before sighing, "No, I'm not the one killing people. Truth is, I'm all that stands between Deucalion and the lives of your friends. I've been the one pulling the leash taut when they're salivating for a bite."