Giving a chance

Bright sunlight shone in through the window. The natural bustle of New Orleans mixed with tweets or Northern Cardinals and Mocking Birds.

I sleepily get out of bed and change out of my pajamas, and into my clothes for the day. My shirt fitting snugly against my skin. I open the window to let in the breeze and smell of freshly cut grass.

I take a deep breath and go prepare myself some cereal. I text Shoshi asking him if we're still on for our gaming session in a few days from now.

I finish and go to brush my teeth. I open the door to see a blue eyed man who got there before me, and I'm once again forced to acknowledge his existence. Before I can rush away he turns to me and smiles. "Ja, Good Morning Dunkers!" I blankly stare at him, suppressing my blush, before closing the door and walking away.

He takes a minute In the bathroom before coming out and attempting to confront me. But I slip behind him and into the bathroom, locking the door shut. I know it's a bit much, but I refuse to talk with Stig about not liking him, for the sole purpose a girl I obsess over is into him.

Getting my lunch tray, it seems my new unwanted roommate catches up with me. "Look man, I feel like we could be friends if you just gave me a chance on this." He says with a part smile, does he ever stop smiling? "Look, man, you're a nice enough guy, but it's just not gonna work." I deadpan, he drops the smile and looks a little upset as he says, "Dunkers, man, why not?" I blush at the use of the nickname again. I stop walking and turn to face Stig. "Because, I cant be seen with you, and stop calling me Dunkers!" "Why can't you be seen with me?" He asks with a quizzical look, one eyebrow arched and eyes genuinely curious.

"You wanna know why?"
"Yeah!"

"You make me ugly by comparison." He looks at me upset before I continue. "Look, when I'm not around you, I'm a strong 6, maybe 7. When I am around you I'm barely a 3!" It was somewhat easy to lie to him, since it was only a half-lie. I didn't want to be around him to weaken myself in Jodi's eyes.

He looked at me like a lost dog, "Yeah, but dude, I don't know anyone here at school." He pronounces school like 'scoul' and I suppress a slight chuckle. I look over at a group of girls staring at him, and nod my head at Stig. "Trust me, your gonna have no trouble making friends." I comment as I walk off towards Jodi and Fareeda.

I sit down next to them to notice their eyes practically latched onto Stig. I look over at him myself and see him sit down at a table by himself. I frown slightly, a part of me wishing I had just sat with the poor guy.

"Guys c'mon, he's not...that attractive...is he?"I say pushing down all thoughts that explore on the word. "Yes." They say in almost unison. I scoff and start eating, "Try living with him." "Okay." They both say almost instantaneously.

But the feeling of slight guilt is quickly pushed down as girls start Flocking to the once almost empty table. Something about it all makes me feel, upset, envious even. I chose not to elaborate on what exactly, or who exactly I was envious of.

After a bit, Jodi comments, "I'm going in." Fareeda gives her a puzzled look. "You are?" Jodi just stands there for a moment, looking on at the vicious group of girls, and sits back down replying, "No, of course I'm not." I look at her sympathetically, before returning my eyes to the competition of flirts.

"It looks like a UFC cage match." I comment. "Yeah, but with less body slams and more crop tops." Fareeda replies sassily. We look at each other and laugh, Jodi even giggling a bit.

It gets down to both Kimmy and a girl with black hair, an uncomfortable looking Stig in between them. The bell rings and The black haired girl gets up and leaves. Jodi puts her head down on the table as I whisper-yell "Oh oh oh oh, and we have a winner! Kimmy Stitcher is taking home the golden boy tonight!" Kimmy then talks to Stig for abit before taking his hand and walking to his next class. The action rubbed me the wrong way for whatever reason, but I ignored it.

That night I talked with Shoshi for a few hours before dinner, ate, then got ready for bed. I refused to look at Stig, or go near him, or talk to him. But after I had put on my night clothes, and laid down In bed, "Hey, Dunkers, I know you don't want to talk, but can we anyways? Please?" I groaned, but I was too tired to be embarrassed or object. "Sure."

"Great!" He said happily as he came up to my bunk. I scooted over so he didn't sit on my legs. I started to feel hot and sweaty being so close in proximity. Only a few feet between us. He looked at me smiling, before he saw my expression and frowned. "Please, man, why won't you even consider being friends? I know you said it was because I make you, 'look bad', but we don't even know that yet! Can't you at least give me a chance?" He looked at me with a hopeful expression, but also one that was prepared to be disappointed.

I realized in that moment, that if I turned down his friendship, I would be the same as Jodi had done to me for years. I wouldn't even consider giving him a chance. So begrudgingly I said "...Fine, I'll be your friend, but I'm only gonna give you one shot, got it?" He looked over the moon and smiled "Oh! Thank you Dunkers! I promise to be a great friend!" He shifted his weight to pounce on me, suffocating me with a hug. For the brief moment, I could feel his warmth, smell his hair, feel his skin against mine. He felt like a fireplace, warm, but comfortable. His hair smelled of citrus and a sweet shampoo, the conditioner he used making it soft. His skin against mine felt so strange, but so disgusting good. Like it was something I should be embarrassed about feeling, which I did. It was over as quick as it came though, my senses no longer flooded with his image. He looked at me smiling as I blushed heavily. My face felt like it was on fire.

I turned my head away from him and said softly, "Lets just go to bed...And stop calling me Dunkers!" He chuckled and said, "Alright, friend." He used the word like it was the most precious thing he'd said. He climbed down and went to sleep. My mind raced with how close we had been only moments before, as I drifted off into sleep, not remembering a single dream.