Present: Calm Before the Storm

Chapter 13!

February 13th, x792

It was the day before Valentine's day, and Laxus and Evangeline had no plans for the next day. Poor baby Yuri had his first cold, and the first time parents didn't want to leave their baby with anyone just so they could go out for a day.

"Are you sure you don't want us to come over?" Evergreen asked the two again over the communications lacrima.

"Yes, Ever, we just want to take care of Yuri this weekend and stay at home," Evangeline insisted. "Besides, Yuri might get you sick, too. I'm coming down with his cold. Thankfully Laxus hasn't yet. I don't want to take care of two babies that are sick."

"I resent that statement," Laxus called from his spot on the couch where he was holding a fussy Yuri. Evangeline laughed before coughing.

"Of course! I'll be by in two hours with some things for you to eat," Evergreen said hurriedly before she hung up.

"Your friends are interesting ones, love," Evangeline said, shaking her head.

"They are your friends too, you know," Laxus rolled his eyes.

"Indeed, they are," Evangeline smiled. She went over to the couch and sat down next to Laxus. Yuri started crying because he was uncomfortable.

"Poor kid. I hate this," Laxus sighed.

"Me too, but it's part of life. He won't develop an immune system if he doesn't get sick," Evangeline frowned.

"I know. I wish I didn't have to watch him be sick, though. I remember Romeo was sick constantly when he was little, and you were sick a lot too because you took care of him," Laxus reminded. Evangeline nodded.

"Hey, at least our immune systems will get better with a sick kid around," Evangeline shrugged. Yuri had stopped crying and was now falling asleep, thankfully.

"That's the only good thing," Laxus sighed. Evangeline curled up next to her husband and rested her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. It didn't take long before she fell asleep.

"Guess I'm going to be the one taking care of you again," Laxus mumbled, then kissed the top of her head.

Evergreen showed up just after Evangeline woke up from her nap and dropped off a wide variety off food, ranging from steak to fruit.

"Thank you, Ever," Evangeline said to her friend after they finished putting the food away.

"No problem, Evvie," Evergreen beamed. "Just glad I could do something. I'll be on my way now before I catch the Dreyar plague."

Evangeline laughed and shook her head, waving to her friend as she left.

"So, we have a plague now?" Laxus said from the living room.

"Apparently so. I think she's being a bit of a germaphobe. She's not really at risk of catching what we have just by being in the house," Evangeline grumbled.

"Oh well. Probably better for us to keep him away from everyone for a while when he's sick and a bit after," Laxus said. Evangeline nodded.

"Agreed. Now, food," Evangeline said. Evangeline then got to work making some sandwiches for the two of them.

"I'll make the steaks tomorrow," Laxus told her after putting Yuri in his swing. Yuri had stayed asleep thankfully and the two new parents could eat something. Evangeline found herself yawning midway through their meal.

"I think I'll take another nap after this," she yawned again. Laxus nodded.

"You sleep. I'll take care of the kid," Laxus told her. Evangeline finished her sandwich and put her plate in the sink before going upstairs to sleep in a real bed.