5: Scars (Lunara)

~"It sucks, you know. When everything is doing fine, then it all crashes again? And the worst part is, I really don't want to try and put it all back together again -- but I have to."~

Standing in Dr. Egemen's office, I looked down at my feet and blushed in embarrassment. 

"Well, this is a first. Ms. Fiona complained about you?" He mocked. 

I stared at the cool marble floors, noticing the cracks in every few tile. I felt as if I were cracking as well, the porcelain that I was made of slowly crumbling after years of enduring others. 

"Lunara, will you please answer me?" 

My gaze shot up at the stern tone, heart racing. My breath hitched as my lungs refused to take in air. "Yes?" 

"I am unaware as to what you could have done to upset the patient, but you appear distressed by this," Dr. Egemen stated bluntly. 

"Um," I fidgeted with my hands, digging my nails into my skin, "Ye-Yes." 

No. She reminded you of who you are. 

"Lunara, this was bound to happen at some point. I'm not upset: you are one of my best students and I trust -- I can also see by the report -- that you did no wrong to Ms. Fiona." Gesturing towards his office door, he concluded, "You may leave now." 

Eyes widening, I slowly strode towards into the hallway, gingerly shutting the door behind me. 

Should I be happy by this? 

I felt like a numb, emotionless shell. Scrunching my brows in thought, it made me wonder how I could carry empathy for others when I really could feel nothing at all. 

"Hey, watch out!" a voice called. 

Shaking my head and reorienting myself, I stood in shock. I had just crashed into the nurse's cart. "I'm so sorry, Soren! I didn't see where I was-" 

White spots began appearing in my vision; I was overwhelmed with nausea, hunger, and stress. 

Everything suddenly went black. 

---

"Luna?" 

Is someone calling me? 

"Luna?" 

I must be delirious. 

"Lunara!" 

My eyes fluttered open. At first look, I noticed vital signs monitor, which continued its dull, monotonous beeping. 

"Hello!" Soren waved his hand in front of my face, causing me to flinch. 

I was in a hospital bed, wearing a gown, and-

Oh no. 

"It's about time you woke up, Luna; there's a few questions we need to ask." 

Stay calm, he probably didn't even notice. 

"How do you feel?" he questioned. 

He's just following routine. 

"Well," I lied. "A solid 1 on the pain scale." 

"That's upsetting," he joked, smirking. "I can't take care of you if you don't need a doctor. There's no wounds to kiss."

There are, you just can't see them. 

I smiled, jumping back and holding my hands in fake self-defense. "I don't think I would ever want your kisses!" 

"Aww, that's too bad. As my best friend, you were starting to grow on me." 

I rolled my eyes for a dramatic effect. 

I'm surrounded by incredible friends like Evelyn and Soren, yet that aching of loneliness never appears to dwindle. They don't even know the real me. 

Soren began shifting uncomfortably, his gaze locked on mine. "Luna?" 

"Hmm?" 

"When was the last time you ate? And why are there scars on your arms?" 

My heart dropped.