6: Prisoner (Asher)

~"You cannot free someone who is caged in their own self."~

I never thought that escaping a hospital would be so challenging. Maybe hospitals are just a secret form of prison. 

Sifting through the hospital's lost and found room, I finally found an appropriate pair of denim jeans and a black shirt. 

Now I can look like anyone else. Normal. Happy, wanting to live. 

But to any "normal" person, leaving a hospital while at risk for hundreds of infections that cause death would be daunting. For me, my heart fluttered at the thought of possibly being able to leave this torture chamber called life. 

"You're always good at escaping, Asher. Promise that if anything happens to me, you'll escape wherever we are in this war and save yourself."

My idiotic, 11 year-old self had followed Mom's wishes. 

Look where you and I are now, Mom. 

Tears threatened to spill down my cheeks, but I allowed cool, calming air to replace the raging, steaming air in my lungs. 

Silently opening the door, I peeked my head to glance at the empty hallways. Before leaving, I grabbed a hat and puled it over to shade my eyes. 

I can't tell whether my skill for running away is a blessing or a curse.