Chapter 1

(Max’s P.O.V. 8 years old)

“Hey Max, guess where we’re going to be spending Christmas!” I looked up at my dad and saw that he was really excited for this.

“I don’t know daddy. We’re not staying home this year?”

He laughed a little, the corner of his eyes crinkled whenever he smiled. “Not this year honey. We’re going to California to spend it with your cousins Brian and Isabelle.”

I gasped and attacked him in a hug. He caught me in his arms tightly and held me to him. “Really, daddy?”

“Yeah, we’ll be leaving tomorrow so get your clothes ready.”

I nodded and raced to my room and got my small suitcase filled with my clothes and anything else I wanted to take.

F.F.

“Hurry up, Maxine. You don’t want to be left behind do you?” my mom told me.

I looked up from the poster I was reading in the airport lobby and ran to catch up with my parents. “Sorry.”

She smiled down at me and held my hand so I wouldn’t get lost. “Kevin, do you see them?”

I looked at them in confusion.  My daddy just smiled and grabbed my mom’s hand, pulling us towards a black limo that was waiting outside of the airport.

“I know you’ve always dreamt of driving through L.A. in a black limo, so here it is.” He told my mom.

She smiled and kissed him on the lips. “Gross!” I yelled and made a disgusted face. “You guys are so yucky!”

They both smiled at me and got inside. The guy driving took us to my uncles house and I ran to the door as soon as we stopped.

“Be careful, Max!” my dad warned me.

I rang the door bell and waited until someone opened it.

“Well if it isn’t little Maxine all grown up!” uncle Brian said as he picked me up and spun me around.

“Uncle! Put me down!” I said between my laughter.

“Your cousins have been waiting for you since we told them you were coming. Do you remember where their rooms are?” I nodded patiently. “Alright then kiddo.”

He moved aside so I could get passed him and I ran up the stairs and to Isabelle’s room. Music was playing loudly from opposite sides of the second floor. On one side, I could hear Metallica playing while on the other side The Backstreet Boys were playing. It was kind of obvious who was playing what music. I went to Isabelle’s room and hugged her from behind.

“Brian get the heck off of me! How many times have I—”she turned around and saw me, which resulted in her hugging me back. “Max! You’re finally here!”

I laughed “Yeah! I can’t believe we’re going to be together for an entire 3 days!”

“I know! The most we’ve ever hung out before was one day because of daddy’s schedule.” She made a face at that. She didn’t like that her dad wasn’t always around because of his work. “Oh, and Brian’s friends are coming too. You’ll like them! They’re really funny except they get annoying after like 5 minutes!”

F.F.

“Merry Christmas!” I heard Isabelle yell. I pulled the blankets over my head and tried to drown her out. She jumped on my bed and started shking me.

“Come one, Max! We have presents to open!” she complained.

“They’ll be there when I wake up!” I told her.

She continued complaining and I heard her walk out of the room. Not even 5 minuted later, I was being lifted by my hands and feet. I tried to get free, but I couldn’t. I opened my eyes and saw Brian and his friends carrying me while Isabelle smirked beside them. Matt was carrying my left hand, Brian my right, Zacky was carrying my left foot and Jimmy was swinging my right foot as they walked downstairs.

“Boys! Don’t be so mean to Max!” Aunt Suzy scolded them.

They laughed and set me on the floor near the Christmas tree. We opend our presents and danced to the music Uncle Brian was playing on his guitar. Mommy and Daddy started dancing together. They were smiling a lot and laughing.

“How romantic!” Isabelle said as she looked at them.

“Stop being such a girl!” Matt told her.

“Shut up, Matthew! Just because you can’t appreciate the beauty of romance doesn’t make you better!” she told him and punched him in the shoulder.

He pretended like it didn’t hurt, but I noticed that as soon as he thought no one was looking he started rubbing the area she punched. I smiled and saw Belle smirking.

“Oh kids, we forgot to tell you guys something.” Aunt Suzy said, getting all our attention.

“Oh yes, tonight, we’re going out for some Christmas fun and we won’t be back until tomorrow.” Uncle Brian told us.

“So we get the whole house to ourselves?” Brian asked. All the guys started high-fiving each other.

“Not exactly.” My mom said, causing everyone to complain.

“Gregory will be staying here tonight to make sure you guys are safe, but either way, Max and Isabelle, you two are in charge.” Daddy told us.

We smiled triumphantly. “Why are they in charge? I’m older, I should be in charge!” Brian complained.

“It’s been settled.” Daddy told him.