❄️ Chapter 14 ❄️

"Where do these Wendigos even come from?" Michael grunted as he and Gwendolyn made their way through the Sanatorium, keeping their eyes out for any sign of any Wendigo. "How many are there? I have never even heard of this name before," She glanced over at him, shaking her head.

"Now that I think about it, it appears that Wendigos are part of Algonquian legends," Gwendolyn told him. "But... unfortunately, I haven't studied too much into them. It's been a long while,"

"Native Americans?" Michael asked. "I think I have something useful for you," Gwendolyn looked over and watched as he pulled something out of his pocket. "I found this boon in the cabin,"

"Native American Myths and Legends by Joseph Malick?" Gwendolyn read as she looked down at the book. "I wonder... it looks like a pretty old edition – before the Washingtons bought this place,"

Following Michael, Gwendolyn quickly flipped through the book – there many stories and legends in there, some of which that she had personally heard of before at different classes or books. She found a particular one in there, one that had been circled and took a closer look at what it said –

The mother bear returned. She was enraged and attacked the merchant, but he managed to escape with her cubs' pelts. A mighty eagle saw this, and swooped at the merchant as he ran through the trees, but a gunshot frightened the eagle away.

The merchant was leaving the forest, and was gleeful, thinking of the money that would soon be his.But a great tree fell, blocking his way. He had to turn back and find another route. And that is where he met the bear once more.

The Great Spirit stopped him that day, and the bear had its revenge. To anger the earth is to sacrifice your life. The Great Spirit sees all. Remember that, and be wary. Respect is the way of the tribe.

On the mention of this, Gwendolyn recalled what the Stranger had said. He had mentioned that those who eat each other lose all human rights. It seemed like the Wendigos were suffering through the same thing. And she was suddenly glad that she had never hurt any animal like the merchant in the story. She flipped through the book quickly until she reached the information about symbols.

Native American hunters used symbols and signs scratched on to trees or daubed on to walls to communicate with other tribe members. Many symbols conveyed religious or mystical beliefs, others warned of danger or offered protection, and some told of good hunting grounds. Most symbols were specific to the tribe that used it and would be unrecognisable to other tribes.

Shown below and opposite are some symbols used by tribes in North America and Canada.

"Hunter means good hunting ground; butterfly means dream of future..." Gwendolyn read. "Skull symbol to ward off evil spirits...? And this symbol here, we can kill and capture the Wendigo spirits!"

Gwendolyn was still looking closely at the symbol and how it could be used in capturing Wendigo spirits once and for all when she noticed a shadow move above them. She looked up to see that there was a grate for a ceiling, and clearly a Wendigo was lurking on the ceiling, stalking them both.

"Mike," Gwendolyn said in a low voice as she glanced over at him, and he turned to look at her. "We're being followed... be mindful of broken ceilings – the Wendigo might enter and attack,"

Before they could come up with a plan, there was a distant screech and as they neared a bigger room with guns out, they were met with the sight and sound of a can falling off of a small container.