Faith in the Outcome

(tw: graphic depictions of big time violence, both physical AND sexual, DUBIOUS consent)

"So the plan is to flank them."

"We'll flank them here--Kuruk, Ap'lek, and you will take the east side. Cardo, Trudgen, and myself will take the west."

"Where do we pull over, then? We won't be able to get the Buzzard that close."

The Night Buzzard was split into three sections--the front third was dedicated to food and supplies storage and an imitation of livable seating, the second third designated entirely for weaponry. The rear of the bus consisted of four stony, stripped bunks, beds in function only.

The Knights Templar--save for one, who was driving--had spent the past hour out of the six-hour journey at the front. They crowded over a map, debating their strategy while you watched, perched on the tiny couch across from them. Your Commander loomed beside you, silent, the knife of his gaze occasionally slipping over you, so sharp it slit you through his mask. He had hardly spoken a word since you'd boarded; the quick, piercing glances were the only evidence you had that he remembered you were there--a feat while stuck in close proximity on an armored bus.

"A five-hundred foot perimeter is typical."

"Five-hundred feet gives them too much opportunity. The Buzzard has jammers."

"Jammers don't mask the sound of the engine, 'Shar."

"All right then, Vic, but the more space we give them, the greater chance they have of escape."

Kylo Ren turned to them. "The primary objective is to destroy the subversives. Flank the encampment, salvage what documentation you can, kill any that cross your path." He paused. "Leave Pryde to me."

His voice was cold, even through the modulation. You sulked into the corner of the couch, anxiety knitting in your chest. To be near your Commander brought you a sense of peace, but the unanswered question of your future--your child's future--left you lurching. You longed for a moment, two moments alone with him, an opportunity to search his eyes and find liberty in his response. Perhaps in a hormonal, pregnant haze, you'd imagined it like a prophecy: his large hands, curling around yours, his lip trembling with fear, his silence a concession. And you'd imagined the words swirling into your ears, granting you everything you'd grown to need.

I'm choosing you, he'd breathe. We're free.

But staring at him now, hidden under a helmet, armored, toting a rifle and pistol, you weren't sure where the man in your prophecy might be. You weren't sure if that particular man had ever existed at all.

The bus shuddered, striking into rough terrain; beyond the tinted windows, you could make out a field blanched under the quarter-moon, wild maize exploding through the grasses.

"We're about half a mile out," called the driver--Kuruk, you thought.

At this, Kylo opened a cabinet and grabbed two devices--they beeped and hissed when he turned them on, and he fiddled with them both in a sort of calibration before crouching to be level with you. He pushed one into your hands, stowing the other one on his hip.

"This frequency is full-duplex. We will hear each other at all times. If someone unfamiliar to you even glances at the Night Buzzard, you will call for me." He pinched your chin between leather fingers, angling your eyes into the void of his mask. "Do you understand?"

Your cheeks burned. You swallowed. "Yes, Commander."

He huffed--static in the mask--and patted your cheek. "Good girl."