Chapter One

I woke up that fateful morning in a pile of pillows and my comforter wrapped around my neck like a chokehold. Usually, when I slept in late I woke up every hour and decided to sleep longer, but that day I slept right on through until it was about 11:37. I smiled to myself remembering that that summer, to my delight, I was free to sleep as late as I pleased and no one would bother me. I lay in bed for ten more minutes after that recounting the night before. I had gone to bed at twelve-thirty after watching two halves of two different movies which I got bored with midway through.

Just then, my mom came into my room with a knock and smiled at me, "So I have some good news... Guess what?" she said.

I groaned. "What?"

"You're going to summer camp!" She shouted and did a little dance in the air. I sat up abruptly and glared at her.

"Wait, you didn't"

Mom smiled like a kid who just got caught stealing

"What the fuck mom." I whined. Burying my head in my comforter, I let out a wail. This really couldn't be happening.

"Penelope, please. Language." She reprimanded. "We are not having this conversation again. You are going to be a camp counselor regardless of the 'shenanigans' last year" I poked my head out of the blankets to see mom doing a once over of my messy room, "Now get packing! You're leaving tomorrow morning." She left the room.

And just as quick as that, my perfect summer was being turned upside down. I couldn't believe she had signed me up to be a counselor at Camp Maple without even telling me. Sure she had hinted in the past few months, but I never thought she would actually go and sign me up. I never thought they would even let me back in after what happened last year. I repeatedly told her that my one wish was to have a peaceful, normal, summer where I could relax before college. But she never listened. 

It's like she could hear my voice because at once, I could hear her voice traveling down the hall, "I'm just doing what's best for you sweetie. All year you have been obsessed with the past. I think you should face your mistakes and redeem yourself this summer!" A pause, then she continued. "Don't be mad. Remember how much fun you and Becca used to have?" 

Doing what's best for me?  I told her I never wanted to go back to Camp Maple. Not after what happened with Becca.

I tumbled out of bed and got up to brush my teeth. She wasn't serious, how could she be? What kind of mother signs their daughter up for summer camp against their will? I was furious.

At breakfast, I refused to look at Mom. I could tell she felt bad about sending me away, but apparently not bad enough. She made my favorite, waffles, but even though I was tempted, I didn't take one bite. Her apology waffles weren't going to be enough. We sat across from each other in a stalemate until Mom set her glass down with a thud and cleared her throat. Here comes the big lecture, I thought.

"Pen, listen to me. You need to stop living in the past. No one will even remember what happened last year. And you love kids. Plus, you just got your life guarding license and I got the camp to take you in as a lifeguard! It's a very big deal considering last year's little 'slip up'" she made a face, "I called a couple of weeks ago and they said they had no more room, but yesterday they gave me a call that one of their lifeguards couldn't make it this year. Now, I know it's not exactly the same as being a camp counselor, but you'll be at the camp, which is what matters. You and Rebecca always dreamed about being counselors when you were old enough." 

I looked up harshly at her, "Mom, Becca and I aren't friends anymore and I don't have the same dreams as I did when I was 7. You know that, and you went and signed me up anyway!" I shouted, "Have you ever once thought that in your attempt to make everything better you are making everything worse? Have you ever once considered that my 'slip up' wasn't my fault? That  the weed"