Chapter Three

We swam in the pool until the water made our fingers turn into prunes and the chlorine made our eyes sting. At first we just playfully darted around the pool and talked about ourselves. After about twenty minutes, I took off my shirt and sweatpants. They got annoying and no one was around to see us anyway.

 I slowly got accustomed to Natalie's constant chatter. It was nice to have someone else putting effort into a conversation for once. I was so used to begging for attention at home and with Becca, that I had forgotten what it was like to just have a normal conversation. For once someone was asking me about my college plans and my celebrity crushes. Instead of the one-sided conversations Becca and I used to have. The best part was that I got to be in the water. It was my favorite place to be.

Back in seventh grade, Becca and I had joined the swim class for a Physical Education credit. Soon enough, the coaches realized that I was more advanced than the other students who were just trying to get by and they moved me onto the actual swim team. Becca became frustrated that I was no longer swimming with her, so she quit. But I stayed on the swim team for the rest of middle school, working my way up to varsity swim.

We finally got out when a tall, blonde, strikingly handsome young man approached and looked at us baffled. He looked like a stereotypical surfer dude. 

Was being hot in the lifeguard job description? 

I immediately covered myself up and scrambled for my shirt, but Natalie looked unfazed.

"Ah, Peter! What's up?" She walked to the edge of the pool where he towered over her. "This is Penelope. She's our new lifeguard!" She explained when Peter motioned to me questioningly.

"Hi." I spluttered, awkwardly.

"Hey, nice to meet you." he waved. His voice was deeper than I expected. "You guys should probably get out of the pool and get ready for lunch... and consider getting some real clothes on, too. I don't think that Hayes would appreciate you all showing up to the mess hall half-naked."

I blushed violently. The only problem was that my clothes were soaked. There was no way I could go to lunch dripping like a wet dog. I had already tested my luck by swimming in the pool with Natalie instead of reviewing first aid procedures. I was not about to embarrass myself in front of the other counselors. 

At least the campers aren't here yet. I thought, gratefully.

The campers arrived in a week, and until then, all of the counselors and staff were meeting every day with their group leaders to review and prepare for when we opened. My group leader was Natalie. When she told me, I was genuinely surprised, she seemed so chill. It was weird to think of her as my boss. I was slightly embarrassed that I was practically skinny dipping with her. But when I brought it up, she brushed me off.

"The reason I got this position is because I have been a counselor at another camp in New York.  I just have a bit more experience. Don't sweat it." She had told me.

When we went into the changing rooms, Natalie must have sensed my dread about the soggy clothes, because she said, "Hey! I almost forgot, I can give you your lifeguard uniform instead of you having to wear your wet clothes."

She kept surprising me with her genuine generosity. She seemed to know exactly how I was feeling.

"Thanks so much, you're a lifesaver," I responded. 

"Well, that is my job!" She joked. "Give me one second."

Natalie left to go to the office, while I stepped inside changing room one and peeled off my wet underwear and bra. Natalie's footsteps got louder as she returned and she passed me a red hoodie and shorts over the curtain of the stall. I was glad that the clothing was so thick because I was planning on going commando.