Chapter Two

I hit the road the next morning and I said my goodbyes to my mother. I had packed whatever I could fit into the two duffel bags that were in our basement while my mom watched. It felt strange for her to watch me like that. Maybe she was worried if she didn't keep her eyes on me I might run away. 

I had barely any makeup to pack. I'd never really been concerned about beauty and styles. I would have said that I was a fairly pretty person, but I made it hard to tell. Hiding behind a big hoodie and glasses ensured that people wouldn't stare as I passed in the halls. People loved telling me how beautiful I would be if I did this or that, but I didn't want to be defined by just my face. I preferred staying away from the limelight, especially after what happened last summer. I thought people at school wouldn't find out but I've learned to never underestimate the power of gossip. 

For the entire car ride, I sat in silence thinking about Becca, Camp Maple, and my mother. As I winded up the familiar road, a sense of longing came back to me. However twisted it might be, Camp Maple was my second home. And it would always be there in my heart.  I was still shocked that my mom had found a way to convince Julianne to let me come back. I doubt it was as simple as one of their old lifeguards leaving at the last minute. If Julianne was still the director, it was very unlikely that she had wanted me back. 

When I turned onto the gravel path that led up to the entrance to the camp, my stomach churned. It was different this year. It was like going through a portal that leads back to last year. Flashes of being driven out of camp early by my seething mother replayed in my head. But there were good memories here, too. Like when I lost my tooth and woke up to find candy bars under my pillow. Or when Becca and I ran around camp collecting rocks to paint faces on. A smile spread across my face but it quickly disappeared. I reminded myself that none of that mattered anymore. I just needed to survive for 8 weeks and then I could leave and never look back.

I turned into the small parking lot. There were a few other cars next to mine. When I made it to the office, I was greeted by none other than Director Julianne Hayes. Her lips were pressed firmly together as she shook my hand. 

"Welcome back, Penelope. I'm so glad you are here to make amends." However, the look on her face told me she was less than thrilled, to say the least. 

"Unfortunately our other lifeguard had to leave- some sort of family emergency." she waved it off, "but, lucky for us we had a very keen offer for a replacement... You" She spat the word out and looked at me with disgust. I shrunk back a bit. "Now this is no time for you to be immature. I'm counting on you, Penelope. Please don't make me regret my decision to let you come here." 

I nodded my head vigorously. "Don't worry, you won't regret this." I hastily responded.

She mumbled under her breath, "I already do." She cleared her throat loudly, "You have your lifegaurd license, yes?"

"Right here." I passed her some legal forms

"You've made it just in time for our counselor training and check-in." Pausing, Julianne craned her neck around the office. "Oh, yes... Charlie!" 

She called to a boy who looked about my age with brown wavy hair, green vibrant eyes, and a boyish grin and motioned for him to come over. "Would you mind leading our new lifeguard Penelope to the pool to start her training?" Charlie nodded and smiled at me. Julianne turned to me, "Charlie Evans here is one of our other lifeguards. We have two more down at the pool already."

I must have been nervous because when Charlie stuck out his hand, I shook it rather hard. "Woah, take it easy now." He chuckled. I blushed and turned back towards Julianne who was already leaving.