CHAPTER 1

Chance

I traced the outline of my phone case hoping,  waiting,  for somebody to call me.

"Chance! " Called a squeaky familiar voice.  " Dad wants you to bring me to the lakeside!"

That squeaky voice snapped me out of my train of thought.

Next stop,  babysitting.

" In a minute! " yelled back. Taking my brother for a walk is like trying to give a cat a bath. Its not going to end well. 

" No!  Now! " a booming voice called from the kitchen.

I slumped down from my bed and sloped my way to the kitchen.

"C'mon" I said,  signaling my brother,  Oakley to go outside.

It's mid fall in Idaho but it still feels like summer. The sun is burning hot and it's so disgustingly muggy.

"did you bring your swim suit?" I asked Oakley. "We can go in the lake. "

" Mhm. " Oakley replied nodding his head up and down.

"We are only staying for a bit,  I don't want to be here. " I said.  "Why don't you walk here alone?  Aren't you like 11? "

"I'm eight." he said.  That made me realize how little time I spend with him, I don't ton to the lake with him, unless I'm forced to, of course. I never jump in the trampoline with him, I never play baseball with him, I'm surprised I even eat dinner with him.

I'm being the big brother I have.  I don't have one, nobody taught me how to be a big brother.

****

" Cannon ball!!! " Oakley screamed as he jumped in the lake,  I jumped right after him. 

The rest of the time we were in the lake in the shallow water since he can't swim.

" tell ya what? " I said. " I'll bring you here everyday and teach you how to swim.

Now that's what a big brother would do.

" REALLY!?  Wow!  Thanks bro. " he said.

"no problem. " I said giving him a slight smile.

We raced home and spent the rest of the evening together. When it was finally time for him to go to bed I checked my phone and had.... TEN MISSED CALLS?!

I turned off my phone hoping,  waiting,  for it to stop ringing.

***

i     have     no    clue   how   to   end    chapters.