CHAPTER 2 - JUST SAY YES

A/N - This is how I imagine the main parts of Ev's condo. Also the italicized bits are flashbacks!

. . .

While Ginny was down for her nap, I decided to try and get some rest as well. After cleaning up the house a little bit, I laid down on top of my bed without getting under the covers and just staring straight up at the ceiling for a few minutes. As I was about to crawl under my comforter, my phone startled me as it rang on the dark wooden bedside table.

Crap. It's Cara, the senior VP of my division at THEMEGA. I thought she knew it was my day off?

"Hello?" I answer swiftly, trying not to sound as tired as I actually am.

"Ev! How are you?" She sounds cheerful through the phone and I can almost imagine her exuberant expression.

"I'm alright. I thought I had told you today was my day off. Do you need me to come in because I think I can call my-" I sit up in bed, bringing my hand to my lip and picking at the chapped skin with my fingers as Cara interrupts me mid sentence.

"Oh no, no! I know it's your day off. I was calling to see if you wanted to come out with me tonight? There's a VIP event happening downtown. Loads of celebs are gonna be there and I think it should be a lot of fun." I can hear how excited she sounds, so I hate to be a disappointment to her. Even though she is technically my boss, she is probably the closest thing I have to a best friend here in LA. Before I moved out here, all I had was Peter, so it's strange to think of anyone as my best friend really.

"Cara, you know things like that aren't really my thing unless they're for work..." I trail off, hoping she'll understand.

"Ev, you never go out unless it's work related. I'm not saying I can tell you what to do, but I think this could be a really great time to meet new people. It's not going to be all celebrities, you know" She argues.

"Cara, I really don't-" I begin to speak, but she interrupts me again.

"Okay, well if you're just going to say no, then I am pulling boss privileges and making this a mandatory event. Your assignment is to let loose, and meet some new friends. Then maybe you can brighten up your life a little bit. Now you can't say no." She says sternly. It is almost like she is trying to seem intimidating, even though she is far from it. It makes me laugh a little at her efforts to get me to go out. I sigh, thinking about it for a moment.

"So, what do you say? Cause if it is not a yes, then I am driving to your place and dragging you out with me." Why does she have to be so persistent?
"Ugh. Okay, fine. I'll go. But if it is miserable, I am leaving with or without you." I say shortly. Very much regretting what I just said, but there's no going back now.

"Yes! You're gonna enjoy yourself, I promise. Be ready by 10:30. I'll come by in an Uber and we'll head over together. Oh, and wear something sexy, no more of that oversized business I know you're sporting right now." It is funny how well she knows me, or seems to know me. She knows what I have become here in LA, but she knows nothing of Evelyn before then. We share goodbyes and I huff as I place my phone back on the bedside table.

If I am going out tonight, I am definitely taking this much needed nap because there is no way I will have energy without it.

I am awoken by the weight of a small body laying on top of mine and tiny fingers poking at my face. I scrunch up my nose and peer my eyes open to see a grinny Ginny laying on her stomach across my body with her face only a few inches from mine.

"Well, hello to you too, Missy." I say sarcastically as I wrap my arms around her, pulling her into my lap and under the comforter as I sit up. I tap my phone to check the time. I had only slept for an hour, but it was refreshing.