Chapter 8

John/Sherlock

Sunday

[8:09pm] Hello John.

[8:13pm] Hello Sherlock.

[8:14pm] Today was... Fun.

[8:14pm] Fun?

[8:15pm] Fun.

[8:15pm] Good. We should do it again some time.

[8:17pm] Tell me about yourself, John.

[8:18pm] Since when did you take an interest in another humans life?

[8:18pm] Since now.

[8:18pm] I'm trying it out.

[8:19pm] I'll ask you questions I don't already know the answer to.

[8:19pm] Remember: one word answers.

[8:19pm] Any siblings?

[8:19pm] Sister.

[8:21pm] Ideal job?

[8:21pm] Doctor.

[8:22pm] Doctor John Watson. Well then, Doctor. Favourite genre of books?

[8:23pm] Crime.

[8:25pm] Favourite pizza topping?

[8:25pm] Pepperoni.

[8:26pm] Favourite board game?

[8:27pm] Cluedo.

[8:27pm] Favourite movie?

[8:28pm] JamesBond.

[8:29pm] Nice way to make it one word.

[8:32pm] Why are you asking me all these questions?

[8:35pm] Because I want to get to know you. I want to know everything about you from your favourite film to your favourite jumper. You, John Watson, are the first person I've bothered learning more about. I don't know why. You're just interesting to me.

[8:36pm] I can assure you that I'm not a particularly interesting person.

[8:38pm] I don't know about that, John. You seem pretty interesting to me.

~

Monday

[11:34am] Hello Sherlock.

[11:35am] Hello Doctor Watson.

[11:37am] Sherlock, I'm not actually a doctor yet.

[11:37am] But you will be soon.

[11:37am] How can you be so sure I won't just give up?

[11:38am] Because from what I know about you, you're not the kind of man to give up easily.

[11:38am] That's why you didn't give up on trying to talk to me.

[11:39am] I was bored!

[11:39am] That's no excuse.

~

John, who was sat in his friend Greg's house, smirked down at his phone as the message glowed on the screen.

"What are looking at?" John heard Greg ask. Judging by his tone of voice, he could tell it wasn't the first time he'd asked.

Lestrade stood in front of him with his arms crossed. He looked a lot older than the 18 year old boy he was.

"Oh, um... Nothing. Just a message."

Greg smirked to himself. "Oh my god," he chuckled, "it's him, isn't it?"

John put his phone down. Furrowing his eyebrows he replied, "Him?"

"Your mystery man."

Watson knew telling Greg was a bad idea but he had to tell someone. He had to tell someone about Sherlock. Anyone who would listen. Greg just happened to be that anyone.

"Is it Sherlock?" Greg continued raising an eyebrow suggestively.

"He's just a friend." John argued defensively.

"No. I'm just a friend. I'm pretty sure your face doesn't light up like that when I text you."

John pushed himself off the sofa so he was now stood opposite his friend. He opened his mouth to argue but before he managed to get any words out, his phone, which he had stupidly abandoned on the sofa, received a text.

As if they were little kids, they both dived for the phone. Greg managed to grab it and held it just above John's reach childishly.

"Give it back, Greg!"

"Why? Doesn't little Johnny want me reading his messages?" Greg joked, "Have you sent some naughty things that should never ever be repeated?"

"Greg!" John was jumping at the phone now. Sometimes he hated being small.

"You like him." Lestrade said teasingly.

John felt angry all of a sudden. He didn't know why. He stopped jumping and clenched his hands into fists.

"I don't." John answered with a hint of anger in his voice.

Greg heard the anger but ignored it, "Yes you do! Stop denying it John."

"You shut your mouth right now. Listen to me, I'm not..." Not what? What was he going to say? He trailed off not quite knowing how that sentence would have ended.

"Not what? In love with Sherlock?"

Watson felt strange. He wasn't angry anymore. He wasn't happy or sad. He was... embarrassed? Nervous? Confused?

"John and Sherlock sitting in a tree," Greg sang, "k-i-s-s-i-n-"

"I AM NOT GAY." John shouted suddenly, an eerie silence spreading across the room. Neither Greg nor John knew what to do. They didn't dare say anything.

The silence was uncomfortable. Someone needed to end it.

"John?" Greg spoke finally.

"I'm not. I'm-" John's voice cracked as he broke down in tears, "I'm not..."

His legs gave in as he sunk to his knees, muttering "I'm not" repeatedly as if he was trying to convince himself rather than trying to convince Greg.

"John..." Lestrade began, attempting to comfort his friend, "There's nothing wrong with being... You know..."

"Yes there is! It's wrong. It's not... right."

Greg placed a hand on John's shoulder, "No. Listen John, it's completely natural. It's normal. It's okay."

"...But my dad always used to say-" John sniffed.

"Forget your dad," Greg interrupted, "He's an idiot. I mean, what kind of man leaves his family just because his little girl likes other little girls... John, there's nothing wrong with being gay and you've got to understand that. Okay?"

John shrugged unconvincingly but it was good enough for Greg. He passed Watson's phone back without another word.

He read Sherlock's message, smiled to himself and quickly typed out a reply.

[11:47am] You still didn't give up.

[11:52am] Smartass.