30

My phone ringing woke me up. I quickly answered, it was from the hospital.

"Hello? Is this Mr Russo?" asked the person on the other side of the phone.

"This is he," I replied.

"Can you please come into the hospital; we have some things to discuss." Fuck.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, worried.

"Just come in when you can."

"Yeah of course."

"See you soon."

"Bye." I hung up. I looked around the room I was in, and realised, somehow, I had taken myself off to sleep in Sav's bed. God, I'm such a creep, but it reminds me of her, and her pillows smell like her and... Fuck. I need to get to the hospital. I quickly ran to my room and got changed, then hurried downstairs. I got the chauffeur to drive me, because I was probably way over the limit, and I told him to put the pedal to the metal. It didn't take us long to get there, and I practically half ran to go and see the doctor.

"Dr. Medzeldino," I said rushing over to her, catching my breath, "what is going on?"

"Ah, Mr Russo, come this way," she gestured, leading me into her office. I sat in one of the armchairs, and she sat beside me. "We have eased the drugs we are giving her, which are keeping her in the coma, and she is not responding." I nodded at what she was saying, "we have two options now, and it is up to you what we do next. The first option is to stay at this level, and hope that she will show some signs of response, however, if her brain isn't fully healed yet, this could be detrimental. The second option is to increase the amount of drug again, putting her fully back into the induced coma, however, with every day she stays in the induced coma, it will affect her brain too, for example she may not be able to write the same, or walk, and it may affect her speech, but we do not know exactly as people respond differently. I know neither option is an easy one, and I am sorry about that," she looked at me with sorrow in her eyes.

I didn't know what to think, how to react... I don't know what option to choose, it was all just too much. I hated myself for actually going to bed that evening of our dinner, thinking she had just gone on a drive, and for not searching for her. If I searched for her, I would've found her earlier and she wouldn't have had all the injuries, she would be laughing with us all back at home, she would be planning our war, she would be by my side...

"Option one," I stated.

"You are sure?" asked the doctor.

"Shouldn't I be?"

"They are both hard options, but I just want to make sure you know exactly what each entails before making a decision," she said warmly.

"Option one, I've thought about it."

"Okay, I will call you this afternoon, or earlier if there has been any development, but if not, we will discuss this afternoon what next."

We said our goodbyes, and I went over to Sav.

"Please, Sav, I am begging you, please, let your wonderful brain respond, please," I was begging with her motionless body, but I didn't know what else to do... I was completely helpless. I squeezed her hand, and kissed her on the forehead. I had a bit of time before Aleksander landed, so I sat by her side, holding her hand, praying to God, even though I didn't believe, I prayed and prayed, and I prayed some more that she would wake up.

"I promise, God, if you are up there, I promise, if you save her, I will go to church at Christmas and Easter, I won't push it, but I promise you that... just please save her."