Chapter 22

"Get up," the man says, motioning with his gun toward the two chairs at the table. I obey, still reeling from everything. Gabriel joins me at the table. I place a hand against my aching head and stare for a moment at my brother.

"Gabriel, it is you."

"Shut up," the man says, but without any real malice. "Yes, big brother. It's me. Now it's time for a bit of a talk."

We sit in silence until Gabriel speaks. "Do you remember when that bully threatened to ground me to a pulp?"

"Yeah," I say. "It cost me a ticket to the WWE match, but I made sure he got the memo about messing with you."

"Well, do you remember what you told me, after you beat the shit out of him?" Gabriel asks. I nod.

"I told you that no matter how old I got, no matter how big you got, no matter what the situation, I would always protect you. I would always save you if you needed saving. I would always be there for you."

"Well, what happened to that? When Tanenbaum kidnapped me, when he was going to kill me, when he was going to turn me into just another victim, where were you? Why didn't you save me then?"

"Gabriel..." I begin, struggling to find the words to make this right. "I tried. I drove around for hours looking for you. I searched everywhere. But I was only sixteen. I was limited in what I could do. I still had to go to school. I still had to obey mom and dad. I still had to make curfew. I couldn't spend every minute of every hour of every day looking for you. Besides, the police promised they would find you."

"Yeah well, they didn't," Gabriel spits. "I had to save myself."

"How?" I ask softly.

"Tanenbaum left me tied up here for a week while he went to his sister's wedding. During that time, I wriggled free from my bonds and sneak out the window. I wandered the woods, eating whatever I could find, drinking from the creek, and sleeping wherever I could. Eventually I found myself near a hermit's cabin, who graciously took me in for a couple of months. Eventually, he led me to the closest town, which unbeknownst to me was in the next county. I ended up in the foster care system there, despite the fact I kept telling everyone who I was. I bounced from foster home to foster home until I was fifteen. By then, I figured I was old enough to tough it out on my own, so I ran off. I ended up in some city, living on the streets, sleeping wherever I could find a place, and working odd jobs. Eventually, I settled into a little place, got a decent enough job, and started my life over. I even made it back to Eastmont about six months ago. And imagine my surprise when I learned my kidnapper was dead, my parents were gone, and my only brother was now a police detective. My brother, who swore he'd protect me, was now one of the enemy. One of the assholes who didn't save me. Who didn't believe me when I told them who I was. Who sent me to live those hell-hole foster homes where a day without a beating was a blessing."

"Gabriel, I am so sorry," I tell him. "I am sorry this happened to you. I am sorry I wasn't there to protect you. That I couldn't save you. But I swear to you, I tried."

"You sound like all the others," Gabriel mutters bitterly. "I'm trying to save you, but you have to help me help you. What a load of shit."

"Were you the one kidnapping and killing around here?" I ask. I have to know.

"Yeah," Gabriel says with a laugh. "I was. I was also your prank caller. I started killing the same time I started calling you. I picked that druggie Joe because I knew you were the only one to have ever really busted him. I figured once he was ID'ed, you'd get roped into the investigation since you knew him best of all the cops. Imagine my surprise when the entire case was just handed to you!" Gabriel laughs again, a deep, maniacal chuckle that sends a shiver down my spine.