Chapter 9

Once at the office, I review what we know about the current Field Strangler. I make up a small file with pictures of both victims, the composite of John Doe #1 and the best-looking photo from the ME's photos on John Doe #2. There's a slight chance Roberts might know the second victim also, which could give us an extra avenue to pursue the killer. I also place a copy of my notes, typed up and printed out, in the folder. Just in case.

I spend the next ten minutes typing up a list of questions for Roberts. Over the years I have learned that, at least for me, it is a lot easier to conduct a fruitful interview if I have prepared a list of pertinent questions in advance. Granted, I also allow the interview to guide my questioning, especially if the interviewee says something unexpected. But at the end of the interview, I always review my questions and make sure each one has a small check mark beside it. Having a list prevents me from having to constantly remind myself what else it was I wanted to ask about. It is just one more safety net to keep me on track.

Liam, though, he is the complete opposite. When he interviews witnesses or suspects, he has no plan whatsoever. He will start with a "Hey, how are you?" segue into "So how did you know the victim?" or "how well did you know the victim?" and just go from there. It sometimes gets infuriating when he seems stuck on the same issue, asking it a million different ways, but it pans out in the end with some very valuable information. Usually.

After I finish up my list, I check the time and realize I am cutting it close for making the meeting with Roberts on time. I send the document to the printer, grab my folder and jacket, and head out, snatching the paper from the print station as I pass it. I head back down the elevator to the main floor where I sneak out to the back parking lot. I notice Liam's car still isn't here, so I jump in my car and take off, heading toward his house.

When I arrive at Liam's house, I see that his convertible is not in the driveway, but he might have loaned it to his wife. I park on the street, just in case his wife returns. Liam lives in a nicer suburb of the city. I hop out of my car, a beat-up cerulean blue Ford Focus. It isn't the prettiest car, but it is the closest to my dream car as I will ever get. I cross the front lawn, dodging tree roots and abandoned bicycles. His house is a basic two-story place, with a decent front lawn and a pretty spacious backyard as well. I mount the few steps to his front porch, a wrap-around style that always made Becca jealous as hell. Becca... is she ever going to forgive me? Am I ever going to see Lila and James again? I shake my head to clear away the thoughts.

As I approach the door, I notice the curtain by the window twitch. My first thought is one of Liam's kids peeking out to see who has just arrived. But wait... it is the middle of the week! Milo, Kendal, and even little Morgan should be at school! Something doesn't feel right, but I tamp down the instinct and ring the bell.

When Liam's wife, Maura, opens the door, I instantly sense my instinct of something being wrong was right on. Maura's face is pale, and her eyes are wide. She darts a look to one side before asking me, "Zeke, what are you doing here?"

"I am looking for Liam," I reply. "Is he here?"

"No, sorry," Maura says after another look to the side. I realize there must be someone just out of my line of sight, coaxing her to get rid of me quickly. "He has left to... um... run some errands for me."

"Ah, ok," I tell her. Angling my body away from where the person must be standing, I sign to Maura. Who is in the house with you?

No one, she signs back, angling herself to block the view of the person.

Bullshit. I sign. Someone is in there. Is it someone you know and don't want Liam to know?

I am telling you there is no one in here.