Chapter 30

The three of them seemed to be wandering in circles through the twisting, turning labyrinth of endless boxwoods.

Despite the determined gleam in Little Cora's eyes, Cora couldn't help noticing the dimming light from the skies above. Dusky pink and lavender hues bled into the blue like watercolors as the sun descended into late afternoon. She could feel Cerberus' crimson eyes boring into her as they continued their march through the maze.

Cora sighed and cast him a questioning look. "Is there something you wish to say, Cerberus? Let us hear it!"

He smiled and replied in low tones, "I was simply wondering whether everything has been sorted in that pretty head of yours? I fear I am developing a suspicion that our pint-sized friend here has no idea where she is going..."

Cora glanced over to the small girl as she answered Cerberus in a whisper, "I cannot blame you for harboring doubts. I suppose I, too, am beginning to feel anxious about her ability to lead us out of this maze."

"Ah, splendid. We are on the same page, then."

"That we are... for once! I have an idea as to what might need to be done for us to get out of here, though."

Cerberus picked up his pace to jog closer to Cora. He tilted his head towards her with interest. "Why, Cora dear, I have never seen you take such initiative. Power becomes you. The scent of it on your flesh is most delightful."

She shot him a look of reproach. "Stop sniffing me, Cerberus! It does nothing to quell my fears of you wanting to eat me."

He chuckled. "Do not worry, little gatekeeper, I was merely paying you a compliment. I find your newfound decisiveness to be decidedly... agreeable. It is certainly a step up from the way you were before."

"I beg your pardon? You speak as though I was a spineless ninny before my powers started coming back."

Cerberus didn't say another word, but he smirked in a way that suggested his thoughts were indeed aligned with her very accusation.

Little Cora interjected with a peevish expression, "Must you two be so noisy? I am trying to concentrate on finding the way out."

"I apologize, sweetheart," Cora murmured. "I promise we shall lower our voices from now on."

They walked in silence for a short while longer until Cerberus prompted, "Cora dear?"

"What is it, Cerberus dear?" she countered, putting a sarcastic emphasis on the term of endearment for him.

Cerberus seemed to take no offense to it. In fact, he grinned delightedly at her. "You never told me about this grand idea of yours."

"Oh, yes, I have been thinking..."

"Thinking about what?"

Not wanting to alarm the undead child walking alongside them, Cora did her best to explain her recent revelation in a roundabout manner, "I have been thinking about... how detrimental it might be for people to sleep... too long. When a dreamer is unable to emerge from slumber, perhaps it becomes my duty to help the dreamer... awaken... from her dream... in the gentlest way possible, of course, so that she can at last open her eyes and see the world... for what it truly is."

Cora took in a deep breath before continuing, "Perhaps this is why we cannot seem to exit this maze. We are trapped in the dream... alongside the dreamer."

A meditative look crossed Cerberus' face as he considered her suggestion. He nodded thoughtfully. "You raise several good points, little gatekeeper. I agree with you. It seems that your instincts are finally rising to the surface. This is likely what we must do."

"I am glad you think so, Cerberus," Cora uttered in soft, distracted tones.

Her eyes were now locked onto Little Cora. The child began to hum a cheery tune, appearing completely unbothered by their prolonged adventure in the maze. Little Cora seemed confident—perhaps overly so—with every step and turn she chose to take around the labyrinth, a route that she had probably navigated many times before when she still lived.

Cora grimaced at the sight of the child's contented smile. She dreaded the thought of having to pull Little Cora from her dream-like state into a far darker and harsher reality, one where everything the girl knew and loved wouldn't be allowed to follow, not her beloved toys nor her loving parents...

Death had a tendency to sever all ties to life whether or not a mortal was ready to let it go. It was a most traumatic affair. Cora knew she would need to proceed with caution. She didn't wish to frighten the girl by revealing the truth too quickly. She would need to build up to it, and let the child arrive at the realization on her own.

In a faint voice, she addressed Little Cora, "Sweetheart?"

"Yes, Miss Cora?" the girl responded.

"Do you remember what you were doing in the maze before Cerberus pulled you from the fountain?"

Little Cora nodded. "Yes, I do! I was playing hide-and-seek with mama!"

Cora's eyes widened in surprise. "Is your mother still looking for you, then? Here? In the garden?"

"I think so," the girl mused impishly, "but mama is not as good at seeking as I am at hiding."

"Where were you hiding, sweetheart?"

"Oh!" Little Cora gushed, "I found the most perfect hiding spot! In fact, I am surprised that you and Cerberus discovered me at all!"

Cora's complexion paled slightly. "Are you telling me that—"

Little Cora blurted out proudly, "I hid in the fountain! Aren't I such a clever girl, Miss Cora? Mama never found me!"

Upon hearing Little Cora's shocking admission, an overwhelming feeling of guilt crashed into Cora, more heart-wrenching and debilitating than anything she ever endured. Instinctively, she knew that the emotion wasn't her own even while tears stung her eyes, and her heart shattered into infinite pieces. Cora became so deeply aggrieved that thoughts about taking her own life began to flood her mind.

This gave her pause.

The violence of her reaction was harrowing. Quite suddenly, a wild possibility whipped through her, and Cora felt as though she knew who the owner of these memories might be. Certainly, anyone would be horrified to learn about a child's accidental drowning during an innocent game of hide-and-seek, but...

Only a mother would mourn so despairingly as to seek an end to her own life upon hearing this tragic news.