H

The kitchen was absolutely buzzing. Line cooks were barking out orders left and right while the servers stood in a straight line for inspection. It was hot. So hot that I could feel my makeup slowly sliding off my face and the back of my white button up sticking to my lower back. Eduardo bent down to elbow my waist and I winched before smacking him on the arm.

"You look horrible." He quipped, a small smile creeping across his face.

"And you look high as a fucking kite." I say, noticing his pale pink eyes that had a distant look in them.

Now he really grins. He smacks his gum, making a loud 'pop', "that's because I am."

I scan the room for Charity and Leah, but they're nowhere in sight. If Charity is late one more time, management said she was done. They both had less than a minute to get here. Justin paces in front of us and it's starting to piss me off. All that he told the staff was that the dining room was booked out tonight for a high profile party. Celebrity guests. I've had my fair share of waiting on celebrities, but something about tonight felt more high stakes than usual. I hear heavy breathing and turn to the side to see Leah slide in between me and another server. She rolls her eyes and I smile before mouthing, 'Charity'? She nods and I see Charity talking to Justin. 

"Did you really think a fucking Starbucks was the right move tonight Charity?" He booms.

I had to zone in on them just to hear their conversation. So much was happening in this damn room right now.

"If you don't want me Justin, that's fine. I will happily take my ass home. You know that I'm the best server you have." She fails her arms, coffee spilling onto the floor. 

Justin's ears turn red before he scoffs and tells her to get in line. He knows that she's right. Charity really is one of the best.

"Alright everybody, listen up!" Justin yells.

We all go quiet as he walks up and down the line. He carefully scans each one of us, a full head to toe, before taking his position next to the whiteboard he brought in. 

I lock eyes with Eduardo. "Who the hell is so special that's coming in tonight?" I ask him, without even having to say anything. 

His eyes blink for a second, "I don't know", he says.

"The entire dining room is going to be full of high profile clients. Musicians, producers, directors, agents, actors and actresses. There are no mistakes tonight. Zero. Make one and I can guarantee that you're done working here. You all only have one table and I expect you to wait on them like the goddamn queen is here. Anything they want, you get. If we don't have it, find me and we'll make it work. Is that understood?"

We all silently nod before breaking apart. Eduardo, Charity, Leah, and I all gather into a corner.

"Who the fuck do you think is coming here?" I breathlessly laugh.

Charity takes a sip of her drink, "Who the hell cares? They're just gonna tip us like shit anyways."

"Someone at the front desk told me that she saw a room reservation for Simon Cowell." Leah says.

"Well I hope I don't get anyone as famous as him," Eduardo laughs and then continues, "I'll get so nervous."

Justin bolts back into the kitchen and yells, "Alright the host stand just told me that people are starting to get here! Let's move people! No pictures, no autographs, no hanging around the tables. Do not interact with tables that aren't yours unless someone specifically stops you! If I found that any of you ask for something from anyone, you'll be looking for another job."