8. A Wedding

katniss and peeta's wedding

katniss and peeta's wedding. taken from an unpublished fic of mine.

"You may kiss the bride!"

Their lips locked and at that moment, that very moment, Katniss remembered what happiness and delight felt like, as they had all manifested inside her. Emotions she hadn't felt in years flooded throughout her being. All of the pain had been washed away and replaced with complete giddiness. Everything became a blur as she lost herself in the moment.

Haymitch said a few more things along the lines of snarky. It's only when Peeta and Katniss had to break apart that she regained consciousness into the real world and everything that had become a blur during her blissful peace focused.

Looking out into the garden, she saw some of her closest friends standing out of their chairs with bright smiles on their faces as they watched the newlyweds walk down the aisle together. Peeta stole a look at Katniss, and everyone in the crowd felt their heart stop as he gave her the happiest look a man could create. Katniss' dress flowed behind her, which  she didn't understand because the need for frills and extra fabric was so unnecessary, but she didn't want to upset Effie, who'd taken the job without being asked, any more than she had about the small, private party she wanted, compared to the crowded, elaborate party Effie had in mind. As Peeta and her finished walking down the aisle she finally allowed herself to peek at his face. The happiness on his face was as clear as glass; it made Katniss feel like the entire world was made for him and her.

Happiness overpowered her mind, and she jumped into his arms, giggling as she did so. Peeta carried her, her heels in hand, and put her down next to the table where they were cut the cake.

Katniss took the knife in her hand, and a small detail caught her attention. The old seal of the Capitol. A terrible thought crossed her mind. How this never would've happened the way she wanted had Coriolanus Snow not been killed. It would be forced, it would be mandatory. And then President Snow would feel like there isn't enough drama in his life and force her into getting pregnant, and then thrust her helpless children into the Games the moment they're old enough. Her hands started to shake, and she dropped the knife onto the table. Peeta just chuckled and picked it back up, taking quick notice of what had happened. He knew Katniss still had flashbacks of the games and the rebellion; it had only been five years. He had them too, his bad ones, but medicine Doctor Aurelius prescribed him helped him from having them frequently. Katniss could feel the panic rising in my chest, and Peeta put his hand on hers, lifting it to fit over his. He squeezed her hand once, to reassure her, to tell her everything is okay.  To tell her that Snow isn't here anymore, that this is real, not some show he made them perform. Her body relaxed and she allowed herself to live in the moment, to feel the glide of the knife through the soft layers of the cake.

Katniss' friends all whooped and cheered. Johanna, unexpectedly, jumped up and down. Katniss glanced at her mother, who sat happily gleaming and clapping lightly. She almost didn't invite her mother to the wedding; actually, she didn't, but Peeta invited her because she was the only living family member... for both of them.