12. The Miscarriage (TRIGGER WARNING)

Trigger Warning

Katniss struggled to button her jacket up and let out a frustrated noise when she realized her belly was too big. Peeta passed by her and began to put on his own jacket, and he gave her a strange look when he saw she had put on her favorite gray coat. "And where do you think you're going?" He asked, wrapping his arms around her from behind.

"I've got another doctor's appointment. Dr. Conway told me to come every month; she said it'd help with the nightmares, knowing our baby was okay," Katniss replied, as she turned around and buttoned up her husband's coat. "I'll stop by the bakery when it's over and eat all the food. I've been craving cheese buns forever. And I'll let you hang the new pictures."

"I hope those cravings don't last forever, or we'll run out of ingredients. But anything for you and her," Peeta said, and Katniss smiled as he pressed his hand atop of her stomach. "Are you sure you don't want me to go?"

She shook her head in response. "No, it's alright. Addy and I can manage just fine on our own. Besides, you have cheese buns to make. And no- you're not driving me, I knew you were going to ask, Dr. Conway told me to try and clear my mind before going, so I can address any questions I have without forgetting them, which means I have to walk. I'll see you soon," said Katniss as she kissed Peeta's cheek. He was left stunned at Katniss' negation. She always let him tag along. Katniss noticed the look on his face and sighed. "I really would rather go alone this time. She said it's good to be independent. If anything worthy happens, I'll call you." Katniss walked to the door and left.

Her walk through the snow was cold, and she shivered as an icy wind blew past her. She passed through the new Hob, although it wasn't a black market anymore. It was set up exactly the same, except the people had more money and could deal better trades. When she neared the nicest part of town near the hospital, she saw a familiar figure. "Haymitch?" She called out, running across the street to meet up with him. "What're you doing here?"

Haymitch looked up at her. "Sweetheart, I'm not going to lie to you. The boy sent me to make sure you got here safely. I guess I can leave now?"

Katniss sighed and nodded. Of course, Peeta would do that; he worried about her more than he said. "Haymitch-" Katniss began, grabbing his arm. "Will you come with me? I know I told Peeta not to but he'll never let it go if you don't. Just... wait in the waiting room. It shouldn't take long." Haymitch sighed, although he knew he'd have to anyways. As much as he tried to deny it, he cared for the tributes he mentored. He followed her inside and a sterile stench filled his nostrils, making him crinkle his nose and utter words of disgust. He sat in a chair while Katniss checked in, watching a Capitol soap opera that had been playing on the tv. Soon enough, a nurse calls Katniss' name. She sighs as people stare at her and her belly; she still wasn't used to the staring.

Dr. Conway was already in the room when she arrived, and Katniss sat in the chair she had become familiar with. "So, Katniss, do you have any questions you'd like to ask?" She asked, clicking her pen.

Katniss closed her eyes, the bright light that had yet to be shut off hurting her sensitive eyes. "Yes... just one. Do you know if... if the nightmares will stop?"

Dr. Conway eyed Katniss, a concerned look on her face. "Have they gotten worse?" Her client nodded. "Well, there's no telling. I think that you should probably stop worrying as much as you do- last time I checked, she was perfectly fine. And she'll be perfectly fine this time as well. In three months when you hopefully deliver, you'll have a healthy baby that will be your entire world. If you focus yourself on one thing, say a hobby like... painting, you can distract yourself from the paranoia you generate in your mind."

-add more-

Dr. Conway had to tend to another patient, so she sent a nurse in with a Doppler to check Adelaide's heartbeat. She shut the light off and adjusted the screen that would show Katniss her baby. The nurse right away took the Doppler to check for a heartbeat.