Forgiveness

The morning after Nate's graduation, I woke up in the treehouse under the old, familiar blankets. I stared at the carved initials on the ceiling and focused on the new addition, "FOREVER." Nate's arms were wrapped around my naked body as the sun tried to shine through the doorway.

I realized we had slept there all night.

Nate's eyes were still closed as he lay next to me looking so perfect.

I slowly placed my hand on his face, touching his cheek with my finger to double check this was all still real and not a dream. He moved his head slightly and then opened his eyes. His smile was wide and infectious, with his dimple being the cherry on top.

"Good morning, Nick."

Time seemed to standstill.

This seemed like the perfect moment to finally express my inner, most personal feelings to Nate. Whatever happened in the past didn't matter, I was living in the present.

"I need to tell you something," I nervously said.

He looked at me and told me to, "spill it," in a cute, playful manner as he rolled on his side to give me his full attention.

"I love you, too," I blurted out, finally opening my whole heart up to him.

"I was waiting for you to say that."

His face was sweet and joyful as he leaned in to kiss me.

After exploring one another for the second time, we collected our clothes and walked quietly down the ladder, hoping not to wake up his parents or Jenna.

He walked me across the street for the last time. We would no longer be neighbors after that day. We stood in my driveway, holding hands, not able to look anywhere but at one another.

"What do we do now?" I asked with some hesitation, anticipating what his answer would be.

"I still can't believe you're moving," he said disappointed.

"That doesn't answer my question," I said confused, like he was sidestepping the important matter in front of him, meaning us.

"I don't want to ever lose you again," he declared without any reservations.

"I don't either."

"This summer I can come visit you in Nashville as much as I can. In the fall, I'll be at UNC," he paused to sort his thoughts out then continued, "Long distance can work. We can make all of this work," he said convincingly.

"It's too good to be true," I shook my head with second thoughts about his intentions.

"Last night was the best night of my life," he admitted.

"Me too," I softly replied, "I just worry that..."

Nate interrupted me and shook his head emphatically.

"I promise you I will never let you down again," he said gazing into my eyes.

He practically placed a spell on me.

He moved in closer and tenderly kissed me. Then, he affectionately wrapped his long arms around me. His embrace melted my heart.

"I'll give you a call later," he said after the hug.

I simply nodded my head, and watched as he reluctantly walked back across the street to his house.

He periodically glanced back at me, displaying a huge grin, which in turn, made me optimistic for our future.

We were about to embark on a new adventure, "Nate and Nick, 2.0."

That was then, this was now.