Patience

The warm water fell all around us as Nate and I stood naked together in his shower. He poured shampoo into his hands and lathered it up before softly massaging the soap into my hair. I closed my eyes as the water washed away the shampoo and the lingering dessert still stuck to my body. I opened my eyes and seductively stared at Nate as I ran my hands slowly down his naked body until my touch was too much for him. He started to kiss my wet neck, then slowly traveled down my body, exploring every part with his mouth. I closed my eyes and braced myself with my hand up against the glass door.

After our thorough shower, Nate stayed downstairs while I dried my hair with a fluffy towel and walked upstairs to my bedroom. I couldn't wrap my head around the absolutely insane roller coaster Nate and I had been on. That night, we had catapulted off the track into another stratosphere. We were in sync, body and soul, which was almost too good to be true.

I threw on some comfy clothes then brushed my wet hair before heading down to the family room. As I turned the corner, I saw Nate sitting in front of the couch on the scatter rug near the coffee table while a romantic fire burned in the fireplace. I walked up from behind him and saw the two damaged ice cream containers on the coffee table that we had salvaged during the kitchen cleanup before our shower.

Nate heard my approaching footsteps and glanced up at me with a welcoming smile. As I plunked down beside him on the ground, I placed a small smooch on his lips. He leaned back against the frame of the couch, wearing sweatpants and t-shirt, and held out a spoon for me. We both began to dig in and eat the half-melted ice cream out of the cracked containers.

"I think it almost tastes better out of the container. Who needs a bowl, really?" I asked, while scooping ice cream into my mouth.

"Jenna says that, too," Nate said with a genuine smile.

"I saw the other bedroom, it's really cute for her. Does she visit much?"

Nate's whole body became still, including his hand that held his spoon, which paused half-way to his mouth.

"At one point, I thought my mom and Jenna were going to have to live with me," he said with hidden emotion behind his soft tone.

"It was that bad?"

Nate simply nodded his head, then took a bite of his ice cream.

Silence filled the air, the only sound heard was the roaring fire.

"They're lucky to have you," I said, leaning over as I placed my hand on his thigh to support him in my own little way.

A few seconds later, he placed his container down and became very quiet. He hesitated with his words.

"I have to tell you something. I've been waiting for the right time, but..." he said with regret.

I knew this was all too good to be true. The other shoe was about to drop. I let my guard down for a few seconds and had become complacent. I forgot when a good thing happened to me, usually something bad followed. As Nate struggled to find his words, I couldn't take it anymore.

"Just tell me," I said, placing my ice cream down.

I had instantly lost my appetite from the stress of the unknown.

Nate hemmed and hawed and put his hand to his mouth. He hesitated many times, started to say something, then stopped. The buildup to whatever he was about to confess was simply torture.

"You really can't do this to me, not now! If Lily told you something, just tell me!" I pleaded.

Nate's face went blank, then confusion set in.