two

two; PRUDENCE BRADBURY

"You're home late."

Lennon's keys clanged against the glass of the bowl on the side table beside the door as she dropped them and she continued down the narrow hall, smiling at the sight of her younger sister who was stirring something in a pot on the stove.

"Sorry." She responded sheepishly, "Had a meeting."

"Oh?" Prudence rose an eyebrow in question as she turned a knob on the stove and the flamed beneath the pot extinguished, "Did something happen at work?"

As she placed her coat onto the hook beside the refrigerator and tossed her robes into the basket between the two doors leading to Prudence's room and the bathroom, she debated whether or not she should tell her sister about Remus Lupin and the proposition he had offered her earlier in the day.

While he hadn't explicitly told her to keep it under wraps, he had never said she couldn't discuss it with people who believed in the return of the darkest wizard since Grindelwald and Prudence definitely did not believe what the papers had been saying about her friend's death.

She cleared her throat uncomfortably and took a seat on one of the three stools at the island benchtop, watching her sister as she rummaged through her cupboards in search for something.

"Not exactly." She finally answered when Prudence pulled a strainer from a cupboard, "I had a discussion with a man about the return of You Know Who."

Prudence hummed her acknowledgement.

"Oh, about the Order." She said after a moment, "Did you join?"

Lennon's eyes widened in surprise as she stared at the girl who was pouring pasta into a colander and gazing at her sister as though she had merely asked her how the weather had been that day.

"How the bloody hell do you know about the Order?" The elder of the sister's finally questioned and Prudence smiled faintly as she flicked her hand toward an open drawer and Lennon pulled herself off of her chair and made her way over to it, pulling two bowls from it and placing them onto the benchtop.

"Dumbledore spoke with a few of the graduates last week before term ended." The younger girl answered tiredly, nodding her thanks as she began to dish the curly pasta into the separate bowls, "Mostly those of us who were close with Ced so a couple of us agreed to join, did you?"

Lennon sighed quietly as she grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and sat back down on the stool across from her sister. Her entire reason for joining was to protect her siblings from the horrors of a brewing war, but she wasn't Prudence's mother and she couldn't stop her from joining, no matter how much she wanted to protect her.

"Yeah, I did." She finally answered, unscrewing the cap on the bottle, "Remus Lupin was very convincing."

As Prudence slid one of the bowls across to her sister, alongside a fork, her eyes widened in surprise, "My old defence professor?"

"Yeah." Lennon nodded, "Apparently, he was in when the Order the first time around and he's trying to recruit on the DL because of what the Prophet is saying about Dumbledore and Harry Potter."

"That's what Dumbledore said." Prudence murmured, poking at the noodles with her fork, "Said he could only recruit the best and people who he could trust not to go running to the Ministry."

"How are we going to explain disappearing occasionally for meetings to Harrison?" Lennon asked, suddenly remembering their brother who was going to be staying with them while their parents were in Greece for two weeks.

"I suppose we'd have to ask if we could bring him?" Prudence responded after a moment, "I mean, we can't exactly lie."

Lennon shook her head slowly, they definitely couldn't lie because Harrison Bradbury had a knack for spotting even the tiniest of fibs, no one had been able to get anything passed him since he was five years old.

"That'll be fun." Lennon murmured before she shoved a forkful of pasta into her mouth and began to chew as Prudence snorted, murmuring her agreement, "Did you get told about the introductory meeting tomorrow night?"

"Swallow and then talk, Lenny." Prudence chatised and grinned widely when her sister responded by giving her the finger, "And yes, I did."

Lennon stuck her tongue out at her sister after swallowing before she spoke again, "Lupin's meeting us here at 6 tomorrow to take us to the Headquarters they've set up." When she noticed her sister's face, she frowned, "What is it?"

"Uh, Mickey stopped by earlier." Prudence finally revealed after a moment of hesitation and before Lennon could panic, she quickly began to assure her, "I didn't let him in or tell him you were staying here or anything, promise."

"Bastard say what he wanted?" Lennon finally asked bitterly before she shoved another forkful of pasta into her mouth and chewed it angrily.

"He just claimed that he needed to talk with you." Her sister shrugged as she played with the oval locket at the end of the long chain around her neck, watching with worried eyes as Lennon swallowed harshly and grabbed the bottle of water next to her, "He left after I told him to fuck off."

"Good." Lennon responded, "I don't want to see him."

══════════════════

a bit on the shorter side but the next chapter will be longer as i just wanted to establish lennon's relationship with her sister before i just thrust them straight into order business and their little brother will be introduced soon!

thanks for reading!

~r