chapter 16

if i owned hp then i wouldn't be wishing i had enough money to visit japan and if i owned this spin on the original books then it would have been posted here not ff.net or abandoned

Chapter 16.

29 May 1993.

"Regine isn't in the dormitory?" Anna Kowalski, Regine's roommate and the only person she considered her close friend in Hufflepuff, shook her head timidly. "Then where could she be?"

"I don't know. She isn't supposed to go anywhere, much less out of the dormitories. Professor Spout has warned us through and through that it's far too dangerous to just wander around the castle, but she's not here." Anna whimpered, a hint of panic creeping into her voice. "What should we do?"

Harry puckered his lips, scowling a little. Regine had been acting strangely, and she hadn't been herself. He had noticed her odd behavior ever since the Chamber of Secrets had been publicly opened. As to whatever was causing this anxiety, he had no idea, but he did know just how much she was affected by it. Sometimes, he could see the dark rings circling her eyes and she didn't seem to be eating well or paying any heed to her surroundings. Her behavior would only worsen whenever there was an attack and she would constantly be wary of those around her.

He looked up at the timid girl to see her now pacing to and fro, muttering fretfully to herself. It was clear she was awfully worried about Regine. Even though she was quite timid and bashful, Harry was thankful that she befriended Regine and gave her a shoulder to lean on. It would be awfully lonely if you didn't have a single friend in your house. And even Daphne, regardless of her aloofness and frostiness, had more luck compared to Regine in relation to friends. It proved that the girl in front of him was a true Hufflepuff.

"Don't worry, Kowalski, I'll find Regine and accompany her back. You just stay in your common room and wait for her there."

"Are you sure?" Harry nodded his head. "Alright, but please do be careful. I'm worried about Regine. She hasn't been herself lately."

Harry nodded and excused himself, swiftly departing and heading towards their private place by the lake, at the edge of the forest. If there was one location Regine would be, it was their special memorable spot. She was peaceful every time she was there. Harry felt an emptiness growing inside him as every hallway he turned was vacant. The corridors were usually crammed with students and faculty members, the halls were alive with their energy. Now, he was with the mere company of dusty walls, rusty suits of armor, and flickering torches of fire lining the walls.

Exiting the castle, he was greeted with a rush of wind. He looked up the clouds and sighed in contentment, embracing the breeze as it caressed his skin. In front of him, he could make out the large tree by the Great Lake and, with a jolt, he saw a flicker of scarlet hair. Without a second thought, his legs propelled his body in her direction. Harry's eyes softened as they took in the girl's slender figure and the way her gold-like eyes wandered over the lake. The water glistened under the scrutiny of the sun. Harry approached the figure by the water and knelt down next to her, situating his hand on her shoulder.

"Regine..." Harry murmured kindly.

The girl shifted her stare to him. "Hey, Harry..." She gave him a weak smile.

No words were needed as he joined her and sat down, fixing his eyes on the clouds, not minding the proximity of their bodies. His back was against the large tree. A comfortable silence settled as the wind playfully ruffled their hair and rustled their clothes. Harry was snapped from his reverie when he felt a petite figure lean into him, slipping between his legs and nestling against his chest. A head rested on his shoulder, and a sweet scent breached his nostrils. His face drowned in red at the intimate gesture.