Part 2: Bruised Not Broken

Shades of Fire by: BubbleBeanBrit

Part 2: Bruised Not Broken

Asparagus lay there for many days. So many endless days that he lost track. But then one day something very surprising happened. He lifted his head as his cell door was opened. Macavity pushed it open wide and stood there.

"Come on. You're going to help me with my work." Macavity growled, not meeting the elder tom's gaze. Asparagus blinked in confusion but rose and followed Macavity out. The tall lanky tom led him up the stairs and into the main level of the warehouse, where several Hench-cats milled about training. None glanced at them, seemingly unconcerned with their boss's business. Asparagus observed some of the strange and complex battle moves they were doing before Macavity turned walking up some stairs and into a dark dimly lit room that smelled strongly of him. There was a desk by huge windows that were painted over in red. Macavity moved behind his desk and gestured for Asparagus to sit in the chair opposite him. The paler red tom did so and faced the Napoleon of Crime, whom sat riffling through papers and such.

After a long time Macavity slid a small stack of papers towards Asparagus and the tom tilted his head curiously.

"You need to figure these out. It's plans to raid the Pollicle Place. These seem flawless but we are caught and chased out every time. You used to be good at solving problems so solve these ones." Macavity growled. Asparagus read through the plans, his eyes peeled for any fluke that could cost them the mission...then he spotted something.

"Hey Mac? Do you have blueprints for this place?" He asked. Macavity looked up from other paper work he was doing then opened a drawer and pulled out a blue sheet of paper with lines and diagrams on it.

"Here." He grunted, handing it to him. Asparagus looked carefully then he snapped his fingers, his ears perking up.

"That's it! You guys have been going through the ventilation shaft! That is what is costing you the mission." He meowed. Macavity looked up at him.

"How can that be? There are no alarms or traps in it." Macavity meowed. He blushed a little, rubbing the back of his head. "At least not anymore..." Asparagus blinked, his logical mind churning.

"No but there is a minor draft of AC. There are vents over each Pollicle's kennel and some in the main office where they keep the guard dog. Your scent has been blowing straight towards the dogs every time!" Asparagus meowed, clucking his tongue as he used to do when he solved a problem. Macavity snatched the blueprints and smacked his own forehead.

"Of course! Why didn't I think of that?" He growled. He shifted through the papers and jotted down new notes, his face a mask of intensity. Asparagus watched him curiously, then finally blinked and looked at the papers.

"You could try getting in through the sewage system beneath the building...It may be disgusting but it would hide you scent and it would be less loud." Asparagus meowed. Macavity nodded his head, a thoughtful look entering his eyes. He rose to his paws rapidly.

"Come. We are going to speak to the Hench-cats." He meowed briskly, leading the tom from the room, and clutching his precious papers. Asparagus followed, his head tilted to the side...It sort of felt good doing something again...even if it was plotting schemes. He could feel his anger melting away and excitement replacing it.

He followed the fiery coated fiend back down the stairs and winced when the large tom gave a sharp whistle. Immediately scores of multi-colored toms and she-cats appeared and stood before Macavity and this strange new tom at his shoulder. Asparagus could see fear and curiosity flash in their eyes as they observed all the scars on his body and the way Macavity stood next to him as an equal rather than a superior. Asparagus found this rather humorous but held his eerily calm demeanor. He instead met their gazes, tilting his head slightly, and blinked as they looked quickly away. Never before had their boss considered one anything close to an equal so they believed this tom to be dangerous and to be feared.