2| "Fly, baby girl, fly."

Tessa Marie

Ms. Eliza (Lizzie) Bell

"'Scuse me! Watch out! Lunch for a genius coming through!"

Tessa looked up from her text books on the kitchen table to see Lizzie carrying an overstuffed paper bag with fruits and sandwiches sticking out of the top.

"Lizzie, what is this?" Tessa asked looking at her confused.

"I figured you'd need some brain power food to help study for the admissions exams," Lizzie said placing the large paper bag on the kitchen table. She started pulling out several food items, further crowding the already crowded kitchen table.

"For a month or for tons of other people?!" Tessa laughed.

"Hey! I just wanna make sure nothing distracts you while you're studying. You're gonna kick this exam in the ass," Lizzie grinned. Tessa smiled up at her gratefully. "Also... a little birdie told me your fridge was looking a little barren."

Tessa's smile fell. "I was going to go grocery shopping tomorrow after payday-"

"Tessa, your exam is in just a few days. You need to get in as much study time as possible," Lizzie said. "Don't worry about it. I'm here to help, remember?"

Tessa gave Lizzie another warm smile, but her throat was dry. Ever since her mother had passed away, it seemed as if Lizzie felt obligated to take on the motherly duties of the house.

"Here," Lizzie said, placing a wrapped sandwich in front of Tessa. "I told Dillon the sandwich was for Professor Dwyer's next protege, so he made it extra special just for you," she winked.

Tessa grinned as she took the sandwich and unwrapped it. "Dillon makes the best sandwiches," she said taking a bite.

"Doesn't he?!" Lizzie laughed.

"What's this about Dillon's famous sandwiches?" Lincoln asked, rolling into the kitchen on his wheelchair. "I hope that means you got me one."

"These sandwiches are for geniuses only. But I guess I can make an exception for you," Lizzie teased as she handed him one.