Prologue

Also posted on FanFiction.Net and Archive of Our Own under the same name. More information about the fic is also available on both sites.

-

He gives the bird a treat and it flies away, disappearing into the dark sky.

Rushio hurries down from the tower and enters the village leader's ward.

"Hey, Rushio," Jin says as Rushio approaches the leader's office.

"Jin," Rushio greets Jin, "is Inoichi in?"

"Yeah, he just came back from a meeting. What's up?"

"Mail from the Uchiha Clan came," Rushio says. He holds up the scroll. "It says it's for Master Inoichi only."

Jin nods and he turns around. He knocks on the door and announces, "The keeper has arrived with news from the Uchiha Clan!"

"Enter!" Inoichi shouts.

Jin opens the door for Rushio and the man hurries inside. He hands Inoichi the scroll and leaves.

Inoichi waits until Jin closes the door before he unrolls the scroll. He scans the words on the message and heaves out a big sigh. Tension seeps from his shoulders and he rests his head back against the chair.

"Finally, some good news," he mutters to himself. Almost immediately afterward, the village leader stands from his desk and snuffs out the candles in his room. He heads outside and lets Jin end his shift early, telling him he can take a break for the rest of the night after finding his overnight replacement.

Inoichi heads down the wooden hallway of his home and stops at the entrance of his children's rooms. He kneels and raps on the door.

"May I come in, children?" Inoichi calls.

"Yes," Deidara replies.

Inoichi slides open the door and enters their room. He offers Deidara a grin and turns to Ino.

"I have great news, daughter," he says. Ino refuses to meet her father's eyes. "The Uchiha Clan has agreed to our proposal and you are to be sent off to Konoha by the morrow."

Ino says nothing. She closes her eyes and curls into a ball.

"Don't be sad, Ino," Inoichi says. "I made them promise to choose the best husband for you. Your marriage to him would ensure the protection of our lands. We won't have to worry about bandit raids ever again."

"Why can't we just ask the shogun for help?" Ino protests.

"He would never pay attention to a small clan like us. We don't provide him with enough resources to be counted as important," Inoichi replies. "We can only rely on the daimyo clans."

"It's not fair," Ino says. "I already love someone else; I can't betray him like that!"

"Forget about that boy," Inoichi says with a huff. "He is not worthy of you anyway. Who does he think he is asking for your hand? He doesn't even know his family name!"

Ino buries her face into the crook of her arm.

"Father," Deidara says slowly, feeling sorry for his twin sister, "maybe you should leave her alone. It's not easy taking all of this in at once, hm."

Inoichi sighs. "You're right," he says. He reaches out to put a hand on her shoulder, but he stops himself just short and stands. "I'll be taking my leave, then. Deidara, can you ensure your sister is packed before you sleep? I will send an escort to pick her up an hour after sunrise."

"Sure," Deidara replies and Inoichi leaves the room.

Deidara turns back to his sister. Ino is quiet for a long time. He crawls over to her side of the room and gathers her into a hug.