The Letter

Obito leans against the doorframe when Sakura hands him a letter.

"What's this?" Obito asks.

"It's a letter," Sakura says.

"Yes," says Obito. He takes the letter from Sakura and looks down on it. "But what is it for?"

"Can't you read?" Sakura asks.

Obito frowns. "Could you?"

"My husband told me it's for your wife.'

Obito looks down at the letter again. "So it is," he says.

"I don't know why it got delivered to my place," Sakura continues.

"How strange," notes Obito. He flips the letter over and over in his hand. "Thank you for handing it over, then."

"No problem," Sakura says. "Say hi to your wife for me," she says, and then she turns to leave.

"Goodbye to you, too," Obito murmurs. He slides the door shut and turns around. Deidara is lying down on their bed, eyes closed.

"Are you napping?" Obito calls out. He walks over to Deidara's side of the bed and kneels. He waves the letter and Deidara cracks open an eye to glace at him. He smiles. "You have a letter," he says.

Deidara sits up and Obito sits down by his legs. He unfurls the letter for his wife and shows him the contents, though he takes it back and reads it out loud for him.

"Seems like your brother misses you," Obito says. "He's worried I'm not a good fit for you." He laughs. "Do you want me to write a reply to him?"

Deidara raises an eyebrow, then he nods once.

Obito smiles. He hands Deidara the letter and stands up. He goes to a drawer and takes out a piece of paper, some ink, and a brush. He sets everything on the table in the middle of the room and gestures to his wife.

"Come on, then," he says. "Let's write a reply to your brother. Do you think he'd judge me for bad handwriting?"

Deidara gives him a look and nods.

Obito grins. "I suppose I'll just have to do my best, then. I'm not one for art."

Deidara sits down by his husband, setting the other letter down next to the empty piece of paper. Obito prepares the ink and dips the brush into it, wiping the excess by the edge of the container. He writes a simple greeting.

"Not too shabby," Obito says.

Deidara shakes his head.

Obito pretends he doesn't notice. "What should I write next? Maybe I should introduce myself."

Deidara snorts. Obito turns to him and grins. "What? You don't think that's a good idea? I think it's proper to introduce myself first, to make a good impression." Deidara watches him and Obito's smile widens. "You're blushing," he says. He pauses for a moment, then he adds, "It's cute."

Deidara's eyes widen. Obito hesitates, but he reaches out and tucks a stray strand of Deidara's hair behind his ear. They stare at each other for a while, then Obito shakes his head and turns back to the letter.

As he writes, Deidara peers over his shoulder. Obito continues to write about his feelings about married life and wonders what gifts Deidara thinks his sister would like. Obito glances at Deidara. He grins when he sees that Deidara's head is almost resting on him.

Deidara looks at Obito and they stare at each other for a moment, then Deidara leans away, ears red. Obito smiles again. He drains the brush of any excess ink and puts it down.