The Breakfast

Deidara covers his face as Sakura explains the entire situation to the servants. After a while, one of them says, "That's very noble of you."

Deidara lowers his hand, giving them a look. They all begin to pipe up with varying other words of encouragement and support.

"I think it's kind of cute," one of them murmurs, though it is not quiet enough. "A little guy on guy... I wonder how that works?"

Another servant slaps her arm, muttering, "This is not the time, Matsuri."

Matsuri scoffs. She turns to Deidara and asks, "What are you going to do if Master Obito finds out?"

Deidara doesn't look up, face still covered by his hands. He just shakes his head. "I don't know, yeah," he murmurs. "I'm hoping he never does."

"That's not possible," Matsuri says. "He'll find out eventually... You guys are supposed to... Well, you know. His parents are anxious for a grandchild and Master Sasuke hasn't provided that yet."

"We're too young," Sakura interjects.

Matsuri just shrugs.

"Well, let's just hope Deidara's family finds his sister before Tobi gets suspicious, how about that?" Sakura says. "You guys need to help keep this secret now. Do you promise?"

The servants all nod.

"What would we get out of it?" Matsuri asks.

"Oh, shut up, Matsuri," one of the servants say. "We don't do things to get something in return. This is a noble act and he is already sacrificing a lot. We should help him just because we should, out of the kindness of our hearts."

"That sounds lame," Matsuri murmurs but she doesn't speak up anymore.

Sakura nods. "Well, then," she says, "you all should get back to work now, and we should get on with that tour, but how about some breakfast first? Are you hungry, Deidara?"

Deidara looks up at Sakura, thinks for a moment, and nods.

"Fubuki," Sakura says, "can you help bring some breakfast in here? With tea as well, please."

Fubuki nods and she ushers the rest of the servants out of the room.

It doesn't take long for Fubuki and two other maids to return with two trays of food and something to drink. They set up the food on the table in the middle of the room and the other two hurries to leave. Only Fubuki remains as she sets up the equipment for the tea, beginning by mixing the leaves with some water.

Sakura gestures for Deidara to sit and she kneels on the cushion on the other side. Deidara realizes what this is and tries his best to mimic her movements.

Fubuki pours the mixed tea into the teapot and lights a fire underneath it, letting it heat up. When it is done, she pours out a cup of tea each for the two of them and takes her leave. Sakura starts by picking up the tea, which Deidara struggles to copy, and takes a sip.

She makes displeased noises when Deidara fails to completely copy her, which makes Deidara groan in return.

"I don't know how to do it like you," Deidara complains once he puts the cup down. "How do you move your hands like that naturally? It looks so unrealistic, hm."

Sakura sighs. "It doesn't matter if it's unrealistic," she says, "because that's how women are supposed to move and if you don't learn it, Tobi will notice when you have a one-on-one meal with him. He might be kind, but he's not stupid."

Deidara tries to mimic Sakura again, but he struggles again and moans, "I just don't know how to do it."

Sakura sighs. "Just lean into it more naturally," she says. "You're focusing on it too much. Just relax and try again."

Deidara frowns. A few moments later, Sakura nods approvingly.

"That's more like it," she says. "Now, just try and work on being more natural about it. Your entire expression is giving you away."

Deidara sticks his tongue out at her and she waves a hand in front of his face. "Let's eat, then," Sakura says.

The two of them eat their breakfast and Sakura mentions something about eating with Tobi. "Eat slower," she says. "Tobi would notice that you're scarfing down your food."

"I'm hungry, hm," Deidara murmurs around a mouthful of food.

"Girls don't talk with food in their mouths."

"No one should talk with food in their mouths," Deidara says in a mocking tone. He clears his throat and says, "My mom always says that to me and my sister."

"Then why do you keep doing it?"

Deidara shrugs.

Sakura shakes her head. "In any case, try not to act up. Tobi would ask you to dine with him alone soon, so you need to be prepared by then."

"How soon?"

"Who knows? He likes to get to know people and having a meal together is the best way to do that. I was invited to a lunch with him when I first married Sasuke."

Deidara frowns.

Sakura notices his expression and snorts. "Don't think too much about it," she says. "He just wanted to get to know me. He is actually really sociable, despite his demeanor in the battlefield."

"What do you mean, yeah?" Deidara asks after he swallows a mouthful of food.

"He's really good at fighting," Sakura says, "dangerously so. It's really a sight to behold. I know that a lot of people are afraid of approaching him after they witnessed him on the battlefield. He's really intense, apparently."

"How so?"

"Well, rumors had it that he fought an army of twenty men alone."

Deidara chews on his bottom lip and looks down at his food.

"Hey, wake up," Sakura says, waving her hand. "Did you zone out there?"

"Huh?" Deidara murmurs, looking back up at her. He blinks once, twice, then lets out a soft laugh. "Yeah, I guess I spaced out a little, hm."

"If you're worried about him being domestically violent," says Sakura, "I just want to reassure you that he won't be like that."

"Huh?" Deidara looks at her, then he puffs out a breath and nods. He scratches the back of his neck. "Sure, sure," he says.

"I'm serious," Sakura says.

"Of course, yeah," Deidara says, clearing his throat.

Sakura observes him for a moment. She narrows her eyes for a split second and Deidara swallows thickly. Then, she shakes her head and they continue to eat their breakfast in relative silence.

"Are you ready for the tour, then?" Sakura asks once they are done.

Deidara nods. They stand and head toward the door, but before they can leave, Sakura stops.

"Deidara," Sakura says in a hushed tone.

"Yeah?"

"Are you...?" she trails off.

When she doesn't continue, Deidara prompts her. "What?" he asks.

Sakura watches him again, then she shakes her head once more. "Nothing," she says, "nothing at all."