10 - Truths And Immortals

Autumn changed her bloody clothes to new ones that she had found in the closet, then she walked to the door. It was open. She looked left and right through the hallway and sneaked down the stairway. Even the main tunnel was open! What was wrong here?

Well, she was going to care about this later. She had an appointment now. She crossed the hallway and opened the door with the letters dining room.

"Good morning, niece." Quintinus sat on a long table filled with all those things that people like to eat for breakfast – and even more other things.

"Sit down; I want to talk to you."

Autumn sat on a chair opposite of him. "Which of these things are poisoned?"

"None." Quintinus frowned. "Do you really think I'll kill you? I need you. For blackmailing your parents."

Autumn rolled her eyes. "Then why do you leave the door open, you fucking incapable idiot?"

Quintinus rested his forearms on the table and leant over to Autumn, his grey eyes shimmered dangerously. "This is exactly what I want to talk about with you. Why do you stay here when your window isn't locked, the door isn't locked and no guards are here? I know exactly that you are capable of knocking me out, but you stay. Why?"

***

"What... what happened?" Lyra squinted. "Where am I?"

"In the tavern. You fainted." Crux sat next to her and Lyra realised that she was lying on a bed.

"I fainted? Not again-"

"You overestimated your powers. It seems like you have gone through hard times, and your body was too exhausted. I guess it's better if you stay here- for a few hours, at least."

Lyra wanted to protest, but her whole body hurt and she nodded. "Can I... can I take a shower anywhere?"

"Sure. The last room on the left of the hallway. I can also wash your clothes and give you some of mine until yours are dry."

"Thank you." Lyra sat up. "Why... why are you helping me? I'm just a stranger."

"I'm the godson of your dad." Crux smiled. "A friend of the family."

"And how do you know who I am?" Lyra asked on.

"Well, I've got Astriel's phone number from a weird family WhatsApp group chat, and she texted me to tell me I should take care of you." He blushed.

"A family WhatsApp group chat?" Lyra almost cried of laughter.

"Yep. Exactly that." Crux sighed. "Just like you imagine it now."

"Whoa." Lyra got up from the bed. "I'll take a shower now. See you later, Crux."

***

Autumn narrowed her eyes and forced the lie over her tongue. "To get to know you better. After all, you're my uncle and still I know nothing about you. Except the fact that you are aunt Astriel's ex-boyfriend."

Quintinus blushed. "Indeed? Did she tell you?"

"Indeed." Autumn sat back – glad to have a topic that unsettled him. "Don't you want to tell me something about your common time?"

She hoped that he would back off and leave the room so that she could finally look for the mirror, but he seemed to understand, and forced a slight smile on his lips. "Okay. Which story do you want to hear?"

Autumn grabbed an apple from the table and sat back again. "The story about how Astriel is responsible for your aim to bring a magic animals back to Aestria."