Chapter 1

The journey to your new home wasn't going to be a long one, but you all still decided to play some music to pass the time. The warm summer wind brushed against your cheeks as you wound down the window and the smell of fresh cut grass floated in to the cramped car. You were sat in the back seat with some belongings rattling beside you - only things that wouldn't fit into the trunk - while Ash and Lee sat in the driver and passenger seats at the front.

You gazed out of the window, resting your head on your hand, and thought about what would happen next. The three of you were able to find a suitable apartment in Seoul for you to live together - that was one of your dreams since you met - but there was only one difference since then: Ash and Lee were now engaged. You were starting to feel like a third wheel at times, even if the other two assured you that you weren't. They had no plans to get married any time soon, and seemed happy enough to spend most of their time with you. However, you knew that they had started treating you more like a little sister now that they were officially engaged. This wasn't necessarily a problem, but if they got married you knew you'd have to find a place for yourself.

The plan now was to find a job in Seoul and save up for your own place. You just hoped that there was an available job out there for a recently graduated art major. At that thought, you dug through some of the belongings next to you and pulled out a thick portfolio. This was where you kept most of your art, and you had plenty more stored on your computer. You looked through it with doubtful eyes. 

"Would commissioners really be seeking out my work?" you asked yourself out loud.

Ash, who was in the passenger's seat, looked back to see you hunched over your work, examining it like it was a spot the difference game.

"I'd commission you." they said to hopefully boost your confidence.

The unexpected voice took you off guard for a moment and you looked towards Ash, "Well, I know you would, but that's because we're friends." you positioned yourself so that your work covered the bashful smile from Ash's view, "That doesn't count."

"Why not?" they challenged, "We became friends because I saw your artwork on the art club's advertisement at university. I'm confident that if you put your work out to the right places you'll find people that want to commission you for sure."

Ash and Lee would always say things like this whenever they could tell that you felt insecure about your talents, it was one of the benefits of having them as friends. The doubt in your stomach soon faded and a wave of excitement came to you as you sat up straight.

"Thanks Ash." you said with a smile and removed the artwork hiding your face, "I needed that." With no more need to criticise your own work you carefully put the portfolio back in it's respective box.

"Now that that's over, is anyone else hungry?" you asked. You heard a chuckle from your two friends at the front of the vehicle and a universal hum of agreement.

"Were actually pretty close to the City Centre of Seoul, so we could maybe stop and do a bit of sight-seeing?" Lee offered.

"Sounds good to me." You said.

Lee drove around the streets looking for a suitable place to park, but it took a while since the streets were fuller than you had expected. Eventually, after finding a place to park and gathering your bearings, you all decided to eat at a restaurant. The food was good, you all shared a Korean BBQ - something you hadn't had since your early years of being a student. You had had your fill, though you didn't make a rush to leave. The dread of having to navigate those heavily populated streets again were enough to make you want to stay an extra 10 minutes or so. Besides, you seemed to be the only customers right now.