Chapter Three

A storm was comingBut that was not what she felt

A storm was coming
But that was not what she felt.
It was an adventure on the wind
And it shivered down her spine
-Atticus-

SIRIUS BLACK WAS DYING for a smoke. The bitter gas scratching at the back of his neck in pain and pleasure was a feeling he craved. When everything in his life was going wrong, he could always count on the sharp vapour to pull him away from the world. Tightening his chest, poisoning his mind, and leaving him with the burning sensation in his throat, it was Sirius's heaven.

At the Potter's home, he wasn't allowed to smoke, and with both Euphemia and Fleamont spending the rest of their days at home, Sirius was left coming up with ideas of different ways to release himself. Going weeks without a puff at times, he would worry he's accidentally gone clean, and he couldn't have that. He started the summer waiting till midnight and cracking open a window and ended it with being caught under the chimney.

Where the world broke out into fights about their protestation of others affairs, Sirius wanted to break away from it all. Of course, he had Hogwarts, he had his brothers, he had fun throughout the year, yet, it seemed as if there was a gaping hole in his chest. But for now, the only thing that could fill it was the inhaling of the toxic chemical.

Hogwarts was an escape sent as a blessing in the form of an escape. A way out of the endless dark pit of misery that made up his childhood. But Merlin, if he wouldn't be able to get away with a smoke there, he might as well turn himself in as an unregistered animagus.

When he was still living with his parents, he would count down the days until September 1st, and each year it would feel like an eternity more. The thought of someone magical coming to wisp him away, like in the muggle stories James's friend, Cinis, would say. She'd always tell the story of Peter Pan, how her sister would beg their mother to read it to the twins every night, to the point where Cinis could not even stand the word, Peter (much to Pettigrew's dismay).

Getting away from his parents, Sirius thought of it as the greatest gift the gods could give. Leaving them was the greatest result on his behalf, but it also left him with deep scars of guilt. Leaving his little brother behind in the hands of his mother and father is something Sirius would never forgive himself for.