Chapter 8

Braxton

I signal the bartender to bring me another. It's been two days since I met Emily's family and I'm at Denny's with Henry. It's the same bar we went to last time, after I saw Emily. It seemed kinda fitting, only this time I know I have three year old.

I'm only a beer in and already I'd rather be with Emily and Cora.

"So you said you went to meet the family?" Henry seems a little shocked to be honest. I don't blame him. If you had told me a month ago that I was gonna meet the family of my baby mama and three year old, I would have laughed at you for a minute straight.

"Yeah, it actually went pretty well. Well, after I got interrogated by her father and then her brother." Honestly, they were pretty intimidating, I could see Emily's eyes bulging while they threatened to kick my ass.

"Really? I didn't think you had it in to hold your ground." He gives me a smug grin.

"Fuck off. We both know I never back down from a threat. But seriously, I'm glad they had guys to protect them when I wasn't there." You can hear the challenge in my voice. I'm here and like I told her family, I'm not going anywhere.

"You just in it for Cora?"

"No. Emily has been on my mind for years. I need to convince her that I want a family, not just Cora." His eyes widen, just slightly. I know I caught him off guard.

"Damn, that's some poetic shit right there. Good luck, man. From what I hear about Emily, you are gonna need it." He's not wrong, we have to worry about Cora and Emily will use her as an excuse.

Just as he finishes talking, two blondes walk up to us.

"Hello ladies." My friend, the ultimate player.

They are wearing very limited clothing and I can't find even a sliver of interest.

"Man, I'm gonna head out. Text me and we can plan something." He gives me a nod and turns his attention back to the blondes.

I turn to walk out when I feel nails slide down my arm.

"Are you sure? I could make it worth your while." I can tell she's trying to be seductive, but all I can picture is Emily.

"No, thanks." She pouts a little, but then releases my arm.

I walk out of Denny's and inhale the fresh air. It reminds me of the day I went to the park with my girls.

My girls. They are, but it's gonna take some work to get them to believe it. Good thing I'm ready to put it in.

I pull my phone out and text Emily.

Me: Hey, what are you up to tonight?

After a few seconds I see that she read it, then I see the three little dots.

Emily: Not much, Cora's pretty tired. She had a playdate today.

Me: Any chance we could watch a movie?

She reads it, but doesn't reply for a few minutes. Just as I go back to check again, she texts again.

Emily: It's fine really, I'm sure you have better things to do.

Doesn't she know I want to be with them. I could be screwing around with some bimbo, but I can't even think about anyone else.

Me: I can't think of anything I would rather do. I just want to spend time with my two favorite girls. If you guys are busy or having a girls night that's fine, but I definitely don't have anything better to do.

Emily: Okay, but be ready for a princess movie.

Me: I can't wait.

The thing is I'm honestly excited to see them. Even two days is too much to go without seeing them.

When I get to their house, I knock and hear Emily call out.

"Just come in." I turn the knob to find the door open.

"Emily!" Why the fuck is the door unlocked?

"Emily!" She comes jogging down the stairs.

"Shhh, Cora just fell asleep. What's wrong?" Her eyes are clouded with confusion, searching my face for a reason why I'm scowling.

"What's wrong is the door is unlocked! Why in the world would you be so careless? It's not just you here." As soon as the words come out of my mouth, I want to draw them back in.

"Why would I be so careless? Are you serious? I'm the only one who has taken responsibility in the past 4 years. Who do you think took care of Cora? I didn't see you there for every 3 am feeding. Believe me I know Cora is here." I can feel the anger radiating off of her.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I know you took care of Cora and I wish I could have been here, but it's not like it was my fault. I didn't know! But I need you to lock the door because I need you to be safe! Do you know how destroyed I would be if something happened to either of you? I wouldn't make it. I know I wasn't here before, but I'm here now and I'm not going anywhere!" I can see her visibly deflate, she just loses her fight.