CHAPTER 13

Loud voices approached Anastasia as she went down the dark stairs into her sister's Speak Easy

She knew that her parents would not be happy to see her with Betty, but she had another plan tonight.
Betty had already gone downstairs a few minutes ago and it had been Ana's idea to follow shortly after.

All eyes were on her, and the young Latina had never felt so confident as she did just now.
"Don't mind me." she greeted all the parents and stood beside Betty.
"Mija what are you doing here? You should be in bed, or do you want to have another seizure?", Hermione hissed and sat down straighter than before.
"I'm fine Mum. I'm not here for you, I have another meeting here in 15 minutes."
Overwhelmed, Hermione looked at her daughter, but Ana refused to give in and without paying attention to her parents, she went to the bar and sat down on one of the stools.

Alice had closely observed the brief conversation between the lodges, presumably like everyone else who was present.
And she was more concerned now than before. Anastasia  had a seizure, and yet she strutted through here as if nothing had happened. The journalist didn't know whether to admire or to be angry as well.

But Alice could not think about Ana any further, since Betty asked more questions.
While the young detective, as Ana liked to call her, tried to get information from her parents, the young Latina watched all those present closely. Of course she had exactly one person in her focus.

Anastasia's thoughts drifted after a while and only when Penelope Blossom stood up and the other parents too, did she realize that Betty's part was done.
Hiram nodded briefly to his daughter, and disappeared with Hermione from the Speak Easy. Everyone was in a hurry to get out of here, but one person remained in front of the stairs and seemed to be struggling with herself.

Ana got up and walked a few steps towards Alice, who seemed a little absent.
"Are you okay?", she asked cautiously, not wanting to risk Alice leaving just like that.
But to her amazement, she turned and looked at her. But in this moment it was different, she looked at her properly, and her gaze glided all over Ana's body. 
"I should ask you that?", the blonde replied immediately and did not notice how worried her counter-question had sounded.

The Latina just shook her head with a grin.
"I'm okay, you don't have to worry Alice."
Not exactly a satisfying answer for the older woman and her facade began to crumble.
"But what if I am concerned?" she murmured softly and took a step closer to Ana so that there was only a few inches between them.

"Are you worried enough to kiss me?"
Her perfectly blue eyes widened, and Ana seized the moment and pressed her lips against Alice's.
For a second there were no problems, no stupid game that led to suicide, no seizures, no farm. There was just Anastasia and Alice. Two women who suffered more from being apart than they would ever admit.

Alice had longed too much for this closeness that she now almost helplessly clung to the 19 year old. She inhaled the familiar scent and concentrated on Ana's delicate but strong arms that were wrapped around her.
Although it was the first kiss in months, it felt like a goodbye again. But how could she explain to Ana that she had to stay away from her without revealing that she was going undercover at the farm to gather information for the FBI.

It was too dangerous for the Latina and Alice had to play her part perfectly to get closer to Edgar. Even if it would mean maybe pushing Ana away completely, because she would still have to make decisions that would break not only her heart but also Ana's.

As Anastasia slowly pulled away from Alice to catch her breath, she saw something in her eyes that was bothering her. Something that was not only causing her sleepless nights, because she looked generally exhausted.
"Ana, you have to stay away from me."
At the words, the 19-year-old flinched briefly and was startled by the way Alice uttered the words - cold, not like herself.
"What are you talking about?" she asked puzzled and tried to bring Alice closer again, but the journalist let go of Ana and took a step back.

"You'll understand," Alice replied shakily and turned to leave.
Anastasia could not believe what had just happened. Her heart began to race and she felt her legs suddenly feel numb.
With a sad look she stared at Alice who was about to leave. But the journalist turned around once more. "I love you."
Words whose meaning Ana didn't understand.