fish + tips

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

materials:
-prismacolor premier colored pencils
-gelly roll white ink pen
-black paper

drawn in:
2020

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I actually did this drawing for the blm movement going on with this description:

when your bowl is too small, you become ignorant. leap out of the bowl to expand your knowledge and educate yourself. learn about the world around you and be a part of the change, not the silent.

once again, the water was my favorite part to draw :)

my signature do be illegible smh

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I was asked to give some tips for my method and how I use my materials, so here it is:

1. LAYER, LAYER, LAYER
prismacolor premier pencils (my primary colored pencils) are WAX based, so once you get to a certain level of layers on the paper, it will not blend and make it very difficult to work with.
whenever I use these pencils, I use many layers of little pressure to get the right shade and fill in all the little gaps that can occur with textured paper.
oil based pencils are slightly easier as you can layer a lot more and applying more pressure won't necessarily make it harder (from what I've seen)

2. MAP OUT YOUR COLORS
this is a technique that I don't know if many people use as a lot of people I've seen do section by section on the piece. for me, I generally take big portions (like the sky in the sunset drawing) and map out the colors by applying a very light layer of it just to see where all the colors will be placed and where I need to blend them into the next one.

3. KNEADED ERASERS
those putty erasers are my best friend when it comes to sketching as it keeps the sketch from smudging and picks up an even amount of your sketch before you start shading/coloring. it also prevents having to dust away the eraser pieces that are left behind (trying to dust that stuff off ALWAYS smudges things for me)

4. BLENDING STUMPS IN GRAPHITE
I have a love hate relationship with these things.
if you draw with graphite, let me let you in on a method I use for larger areas.
first of all— DO NOT USE BLENDING STUMPS FOR BIG AREAS OF YOUR DRAWING. they will create patchiness that's incredibly hard to get rid of because blending stumps get the graphite IN the paper.
for larger areas— USE TISSUE PAPER. the soft material helps to blend out the large regions really well (this is a great replacement for brushes if you don't have spare brushes for graphite)
I also use my fingers for smudging but that's just personal preference.
for smaller areas, I highly recommend blending stumps. you can get them in different sizes and it helps with drawings with a lot of details/textures.

5. LEARN TO STOP
that was really aggressive sorry, but I used to have the biggest problem of adding and adding and adding to my work because it was never perfect.
that really just works against you.
especially if you use reference photos a lot like me, it will not look exactly like the photo unless you're a photo copier like heather rooney.
learning to stop and be satisfied honestly makes you so much more appreciative of your work and it has helped me a lot.

6. ITS. OKAY. TO. THINK. YOUR. WORK. SUCKS.
you're always your work's hardest critic.
remember that.
just USE it to help motivate yourself to do it better instead of thinking it's wasted talent.
i've been drawing for YEARS teaching myself and learning new tactics that work best for my style of art, but I can assure you the amount of drawings I despise is O_o

this kind of goes for anything, but it TAKES TIME.
it's a hard thing to accept because we live in a fast paced world where everything happens at the click of a button, but think about it— even that google software you used to search something up took years to make.

it's like trying to mine for diamonds in minecraft, you'll never know if you were one block away from hitting the jackpot if you give up ;)

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

wow :') got a litte inspirational there at the end, but those are my immediate tips I can think of. if you guys have any other questions, let me know!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR ALL THE LOVE ALREADY <3

I was nervous to post this because 'I am my work's hardest critic' but the support you guys have already given... the confidence to post more just sky rocketed AHHHH

love you guys so much and pls do let me know of feedback on any of these; they are all competed and I won't be touching them more, but I can use it for future works :)

-neeto<3