Hostage

A slap.

In the depths of a quiet, dark room, all that could be heard was the pent up aggression and hatred released in a single slap.

As her cheek stung with pain and pure resentment, her heart rate rapidly increased, and the taste of copper infiltrated her mouth, Rebecca knew the one thing she wouldn't do was let him win.

Tears welled up in her eyes and threatened to spill, but she was determined to show no weakness. She continued to hold in and blink back any tears that had the possibility of slipping from her eyes.

Rebecca stared at the cold and cracked cement in front of her withered, tired, and tied up body. Strands of her orange hair began obstructing her vision as her once tight ponytail, was now loose and coming undone. As she began to focus, she noticed the sound of subtle ringing in her ears and a throbbing pain in her head. A door slam was all she heard before her body shook and head jolted up.

She was now alone.

This was Rebecca's first opportunity to get a full look at her surroundings, though it wasn't much. She let her eyes roam and begin to examine the room she was in, she saw that the room was fairly compact and there was absolutely nothing to find in it other than her and the chair she sat in. The only source of light she had was from the tiny crevices underneath, beside, and over top of the old wooden door that blocked her path to freedom.

As she continued to look around the room all she could see were grey concrete covered walls with no windows. When her eyes made their way to the ceiling they met more grey concrete solidifying the fact that she was trapped. There was only one way in and one way out.

Reluctantly, she finally gained the courage to look at as much of herself as she could without a mirror. She hoped for the best, but deep down she had a feeling that the damage was going to be detrimental. She hadn't seen how she looked externally, but she knew if it was anything like the way she was feeling internally it wasn't to be taken lightly. She could barely even take a full breath, as her body ached with agony even with the smallest movements and slightest shifts.

As Rebecca looked down at the bottom half of her body, she saw scratches and bruises covering the entirety of her legs. Her cut up jean shorts could only do so much and eventually couldn't sustain the damage that was inflicted on her body. The once blue colour was now blemished with blood. Thick rope suffocated her ankles as they were tied to the bottom of the wooden chair's legs. From what she could see, rope burn was beginning to develop around her ankles and the more she moved the more pain emerged.

Rebecca's eyes began moving upwards and scanned as much of her upper half as she could. Her white, short sleeved crop top, was beginning to ride up towards her bra line. While small rips and bloodstains were visible throughout the entirety of her now darkened and marked up top. She couldn't see the entirety of her arms, but from what she could see, they were encased in scratches and bruises similar to her legs. Her wrists were engrossed with the same thick rope and pain that she felt around her ankles, trapped behind her and the chair's back.

She knew there was no point in screaming for help. If she learned anything from the countless movies she watched, it was that the victim would be in an extremely secretive and secluded area. Rebecca also knew there was a high possibility that nobody even knew that she disappeared. She didn't even know how long she had been in this room, or how long it was going to be. She tried to come up with countless possibilities of how this could end up or how she could escape, but it all led to nothing. At this point, Rebecca had convinced herself that the only way out of this was more than likely going to be death.

Rebecca tried to muster up enough strength to speak, even if it was only for her own sanity, but her words came out extremely strangled and weak. She cried out in anguish and winced in pain, as every time she tried to speak or move her neck at all, it was consumed with severe and unbearable pain.

Trying to recover from the intolerable pain in her neck she tried to recall what series of events had occurred beforehand. She quickly realized she had no recollection of what happened before she got in this room, but she knew none of it could have been any good.

For what felt like hours and hours she tried to free her hands, but she had no success. Rebecca tried to knock herself and the chair over in hopes that the chair would break, but she was far too weak. Dehydrated, starving, and exasperated, Rebecca had no more willpower or strength to continue.

Feeling helpless, frustrated, and discouraged, Rebecca started slipping in and out of consciousness. Her vision fading from the small amount of light she had in that room, to complete black, then back to the small amount of light. She was using every ounce of willpower she could muster up to try and stay awake. She didn't want to give in to the seemingly peaceful and forgiving darkness. Although if she did let go she realized she wouldn't be in any more pain and everything for her would be simpler.

The darkness began to consume her as her heavy and burdensome eyelids began to find peace in being shut. She could have sworn she heard the voices of her loved ones encouraging her to succumb to the darkness. She let out a small smile as she recognized some of the voices. Her vision began getting more and more blurry when her eyes were open, and she started seeing shapes and shadows moving around her. The world outside of her eyelids began spinning and the strong ringing in her ears and pain in her head became more prominent. As she felt her body go numb, she felt her heartbeat begin to slow immensely, and was then completely consumed by the sound of ringing in her ears. She took her final breath, closed her eyes, and whispered with the only strength she had left, hoping the one person she wanted to have hear it most, did.

"I love you too."