Chapter 5: Skylar

Thank God they're gone. Now I can figure out what was wrong with Mom. She seemed really anxious and worried when I got home.

I walk downstairs and into the kitchen where my mom is washing the dishes.

"Hey Mom," I say as I go to her side and start to dry off some of the wet dishes.

"Hey baby,"

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

"Mom, you seemed so anxious when I rang the doorbell. What's going on? You can tell me. I'm old enough to know Mom."

My mom sighs and sets down the dishes. She leans her back against the sink and says, "You know how hard things have been ever since..."

"Ever since Dad died..." I mumble.

"Yeah," she sighs, "Well, money has been pretty tight and I'm not sure what to do. You're going off to college pretty soon and I still have your sister to take care of. My job just does not pay enough. I may have to get a second job at this point."

"Mom, if you need me to I can get a part time job somewhere." I offer.

"No, honey, I'm not going to ask you to do that."

"You're not asking Mom. I'm offering."

"Well, who's going to take care of Erin then?" Mom asks.

"We could just drop her off at her friends house when no one's home to take care of her. Isn't she still friends with Sofi?" I ask.

"Yeah, I think so."

"Great! Her mom is so sweet. She'll definitely take her in when we don't have any other choice."

As much as I hate my sister going over to Camila's house, it's the best option at this point. Her Mom and my Mom used to be so close, back when I was still friends with the girls. Our parents still talk once in a while, but with my dad dying and my mom struggling to make ends meat, she just hasn't had time to keep up with friendships. I'm not too worried about Erin going to Camila's house now though. Sofi and Mrs. Cabello will be there and Camila won't hurt Erin. I know that now.

"Do you know if anyone is hiring now?" I ask my mom as I look through my phone to apply to some jobs.

"Yeah, Mr. Jauregui is looking for a secretary at his music company."

I look up at my mom and give her a confused look, "Mom, there is no way I'm working for Lauren's family."

"Come on honey, Mrs. Jauregui called me a month ago asking if you would be interested. I told her no at the time because I wanted you to focus on studying, but she said if you change your mind the job will still be available. If you're embarrassed about your friends seeing you, don't be. She told me that none of the girls hang around the company anymore. They just want you to take the job because they know your work ethic will benefit the company a lot."

I sigh, "Fine. Can you call her and tell her that I'll take it."

"Yup, thank you so much baby. I don't know how I would survive without you." My mom hugs me tightly and kisses my forehead.

"Alright, I'm gonna go get started on my homework."

I head upstairs to my room and get out my books. As I work on my homework I can't stop my mind from drifting off to the job offer.

God, the girls are totally going to be there, aren't they? We used to always hang out at Lauren's Dad's company. It was so cozy and there was this nice little hangout spot that they had. The room had a huge flat screen TV mounted on the wall. A comfy couch and a bunch of beanbag chairs. They also had a grand piano, guitar and drum set in there. We always used to have little jam sessions there. It was the one thing I always looked forward to. Wow, things have really changed.