iv. thirsty thursday

The first half of the show had been the worst run she had ever had the entire time she was a member of the cast

The first half of the show had been the worst run she had ever had the entire time she was a member of the cast. Sure, it was only some blanks on words during "The Surrey With the Fringe on Top" and marking the dance instead of full out during the "Out of My Dreams" Ballet, but Millie could not have been more discouraged with herself. Much to her luck, James was more than talented at improvisational theatre and was able to pick up a little bit of her slack.

"I can't do it. I can't do this the rest of the day." Millie held her head in her hands and slumped over her makeup counter.

James grimaced. "You're running on what? Three hours of sleep? Four? No one blames you. This stuff happens."

Anita nodded in agreement. "It's just a bad day. You know how many times I've bloody tripped on my own feet this month!"

Millie snorted. "That's going to get you in trouble."

"Right! So one day of mistakes is absolutely nothing compared to-"

"Not the point!"

"Y'ALL!" James raised his voice to silence the room, which he instantly regretted because Millie shrank back and covered her head on the counter. "Before this gets out of hand, let's leave her be so she can calm down for act two, yeah?"

Anita nodded solemnly before departing the dressing room. James approached Millie slowly and carefully, kneeling down next to her smaller figure. "What really happened last night after you got home?"

With a huff, Millie answered James, "It was a nightmare."

"Dream of him again, wasn't it. . ."

Millie nodded, whispering, "Please don't touch me until you have to."

James hummed in response before standing back up. "I'll come get you at places, that okay?"

"Yes, please."

--

The rest of the show had been much more smooth sailing from there, Millie was able to collect herself back to normal, but not without a ton of water. She had sang more powerfully, danced more gracefully, and most importantly, felt like herself again. Her, James, and Anita congregated back in Millie's dressing room to discuss the day once again. They were interrupted by a member of security. 

"The VIP guests are here."

The three of them turned to the door as it swung wide open, revealing three men definitely not dressed for the venue they were at. Millie raised her eyebrows at the shortest of the men, then squinting, as she recognized who he was. Unmistakable hair, unmistakable face, unmistakable eyes, and unmistakable smile, even if she hadn't seen it in person yet. 

What was a singer like Bruce Dickinson doing at the theatre?

Millie eyed all three of them suspiciously for a moment, but her demeanor changed when she remembered that they were guests, and that the least she could do was make them feel a little bit welcome. Bruce turned to her and straightened up, approaching her with conviction. 

"Hello."

She smiled. "Hi Bruce."

He was slightly taken aback by her supplying his name for him, but understanding quickly washed over his face and he lifted his hand to greet her properly. 

"I'm Millie Weston." Millie reached out to shake his hand politely, meeting eyes with the singer. He changed his course of action and brought her hand up to his lips, kissing her knuckles gently.

"And he's a proper gentleman!" Millie burst out in surprise, mouth hung agape and her free hand flew to her chest. Bruce gave her a sweet smile, and she swore she saw his bright brown eyes sparkle with mischief before he let go of her hand and turned to greet Anita in a similar fashion. Millie eyed James quickly, and he winked at her before she was turning to greet the man in the cowboy hat.

"You were tremendous tonight, Miss Millie!" He took her hand in both of his. "You are stunning!" 

Millie was taken aback by the kind words from the man, her cheeks tinting a rosy red. Still, she stood straight and played good hostess. "Oh, you're so kind! We're so glad you could come to the show!"

Before she knew it, he was off to greet Anita just like Bruce had, but lucky for her, Bruce turned back to Millie with arms folded to chat with her some more. 

"So, what brings you to the theatre tonight?

"To be quite honest, it was Roy that asked us along." Bruce nodded towards the man in the cowboy hat. "He wants to get the whole experience while he's up here in London. And if I have to come to the theatre, then that's what I'm going to do."

Millie smirked and raised an eyebrow. "I can't take too much offense because you're not someone I would think would ever be found around this vicinity. But I can't complain because I get to meet three absolutely lovely gentleman tonight!"

Bruce clutched his chest dramatically and gave her a mock swoon and Millie giggled in delight at the action.

"I certainly hoped I'd make a decent guest tonight."

"All that matters to me is that you enjoyed the show."

"And you made the show absolutely enjoyable!"

Millie copied Bruce's swoon, and the two cracked up at each other a little more hysterically than they anticipated. 

"I appreciate that, seriously. I'm glad you had a good time."

"Mills!"

She jumped out of her skin and turned to James. "Hmm?"

"Roy has invited all of us out tonight, I said it was your call."

"Out to do what?" Millie's eyes bulged out of her head.

"Drinks!"

She paused for a moment, feeling the weight of the decision on her shoulders. "Fuck, you're leaving it up to me?" Millie groaned and sat back on top of the counter. Bruce turned back to her, head cocked in confusion and a twinge of concern. When she met his warm brown eyes once again, she felt a little bit of the weight ebb away and she made the decision.

"Shit, let's go."