𝘈𝘷𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘢 - 𝘗𝘵. 2

Despite his words, from that day forward, prince Rei did start putting more effort into his study, much to the delight of the Empress, and your surprise as well

Despite his words, from that day forward, prince Rei did start putting more effort into his study, much to the delight of the Empress, and your surprise as well. You had been readying yourself to be replaced with another tutor since he hadn't been showing any signs of improvement even after a few months, so it was a welcoming change.

The prince was still boisterous and quick to anger, but he had at least toned down on pulling pranks. He was quite capable and a fast learner, and you made sure to let him know. His reactions afterward were always amusing, with him getting all flustered and blushing in embarrassment and anger.

Slowly but surely, the prince grew more friendly towards you and liked to take you around to meet and pet his animals, which, half the time, wasn't a pleasant experience. You were never fond of snakes, after all.

One early evening, as you strolled about the garden with the prince after an intense study session earlier, you noticed a group of people in the distance, who all wore rather foreign clothes.

"I wonder where they are from...", you wondered out loud, staring at them in curiosity.

"They are from the Kingdom of Nara.", your young companion piped up helpfully.

"Oh. Why are they here? A diplomatic mission?"

"No... well, yes. Kind of. Shuo and one of the Nara princesses are to be engaged today.", prince Rei said with an impenetrable expression.

"Ah, I see.", you said with a lingering smile, wishing the best for the couple.

"I can't wait for the day my dear student gets married. Don't forget to invite me.", you said playfully, turning towards him.

"What?!"

Immediately the boy flared up, sputtering a few unintelligible words before calming down once he saw your roguish smile.

"That won't happen."

"What do you mean? You will get married one day. Most likely to a beautiful foreign princess just like prince Shuo. I can practically see it in your future. Or do you mean you won't invite me to your wedding?"

You booped the prince on his cute button nose, which caused him to flush bright red. Even the tips of his ears turned red!

Giggling, you remarked, "My classmates used to call me tomato-face. But you're an even worse offender!"

Teasing prince Rei was admittedly becoming your favorite pastime.

The prince huffed before saying, "Who gets invited to their own wedding!"

His words threw you for a loop, causing you to quirk an eyebrow at him.

He decided to elaborate, his cheeks turning darker red with each word.

"I will marry you! So you won't be a guest and get an invitation!"

You looked at prince Rei for a moment, before bursting into loud guffaws.

"Oh my! I didn't know that. And why do you wish to marry me?"

The words barely sounded intelligible in between your fits of giggles.

The prince huffed before saying, "Why do I need a reason? I want to, and that's it!"

A moment passed by before you recovered from your belly laugh, a trace of a smile still lingering on your face as you spoke more calmly.

"But, my prince, that isn't possible.", you said, cocking your head to the side, looking amused.

"And why do you say that?", prince Rei questioned haughtily, his lips pouting, supple cheeks still pink.

"Because I am just a commoner. And I am far older than you."

"So what! I will grow up one day! And you being a commoner does not matter at all."

You shook your head with a smile, hands folded on your back as you resumed your strolling around the garden, admiring the wild selection of colorful flowers that hailed from all over the empire. The air always smelled pleasant because of being infused with all the different scents.

"Hey! Don't ignore me!"

The boy sharply grabbed hold of your elbow, forcefully turning you around to face him. Despite his slender build, the boy did not lack in strength or energy for that matter.

"Yes, my prince?"

"Promise that you'll marry me!"

And that was how you had made a promise of marriage to the person who would one day come to rule over you and your empire.

It was such a childish, silly thing. You mused that when you'd finally retire, you would write a very colorful autobiography and include the funny titbit. Surely your book would sell like hotcakes!