𝘈𝘷𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘢 - 𝘗𝘵. 3

You continued to tutor prince Rei well into his teens. As he grew older, he also grew more mature, his previous childish temper tantrums replaced with seriousness and a calm demeanor. He still retained his mischievous side and still liked to play pranks on you occasionally, but they grew rare as he began to shoulder his increasingly heavier princely duties.

Things were changing in your life as well. Your parents began to look for a suitable husband for you and you knew it was time for you to settle down and maybe start a family of your own. You still planned to teach and hoped to open an academy, your reputation as the only teacher who could deal with the younger out-of-control prince Rei sure to boost your business. Royal tutors often were set for life, and that was true for you as well, having saved up a substantial amount of money.

"...What do you mean you're retiring?"

It was funny how once prince Rei had to look up at you, but now the roles were reversed as you stared up at the tall, slender figure of the prince.

His mint green hair fluttered in the breeze that seeped in through the windows, catching the light of the evening sun. Rich, vivid emerald eyes with hints of gold and grey stared back at you intensely, asking for an explanation.

No longer did he look like the childish boy you had once compared to a porcelain doll. He was transitioning into adulthood, his face now that of a handsome young man. He had already reached his full height, almost an entire foot above you. It almost felt like you had met his eleven-year-old self yesterday and in the blink of an eye, he grew older. Time sure flew by quickly.

"It is as I say, my prince. I have nothing more to teach you. Your other tutors will take over from here until the end of your formal education, which is just a short while away, might I add."

"I-I see.", prince Rei quietly said, swallowing, a small frown gracing his face, before quickly turning to look at you.

"Where will you be living then?"

"With my parents for now. They live here in the capital."

Prince Rei nodded thoughtfully before a solemn expression came across his face as he looked at you seriously.

"Do you remember our promise, Y/n?"

You tilted your head in confusion.

"Huh...?"

The prince looked upset as you showed no signs you remembered.

"Our promise! To marry!", prince Rei's voice suddenly rose an octave as anger and what looked like desperation flickered in his eyes.

You looked at him in bafflement, before your lips twitched into a smile.

"I can't believe you remember that after all these years."

You let out a laugh, remembering the promise you had made in the palace gardens so many summers ago.

The prince regained his composure as he saw you indeed remembered what he was talking about. You hadn't noticed it but, for a moment, the young man had truly panicked.

"Of course I do. I just wanted to remind you."

He said nothing more, his green eyes not leaving your face.

"Tch. You can't be serious about it! Which reminds me, why hasn't the emperor prepared your engagement yet? You have come of age, and your older siblings have already tied the knot."

You babbled on, not noticing the darkening of the young male's eyes, the vibrancy of which was gone in a blink.

Suddenly, you were pulled close to the prince, his slender fingers wrapped tightly around the crook of your elbows.

A sense of deja vu washed over you, reminding you of something similar that had happened when prince Rei was much younger. His strength had grown since then, but thankfully, he didn't use his full strength when he suddenly gripped you.

"It's not a joke, Y/n. One should always keep their promises.", he said in a quiet voice, green eyes burning into your soul.

His cool breath fanned your face as he looked down at you, his face showing no traces of laughter.

You stared up at him, unable to say anything. Your breath hitched when he slowly lowered his face, never breaking his eye contact with you, before giving you the lightest of kisses, gently brushing his soft, cold lips against yours. For a moment he gently rubbed the tip of his nose against yours before pulling away.

You finally took in a shuddering breath, stunned silent.

"Make sure to write to me. I will miss you."

The prince took a lock of your h/c hair before bringing them up to his lips to kiss, his rosy pink lips raised to form a small smile as he looked at you with eyes crinkling with fondness.

You had indeed listened to the prince once you left the palace, writing to him occasionally. He wrote to you whenever he could, asking about your health and of any new interests that you had acquired. Neither of you mentioned the kiss, with you assuming he was just too emotional and got caught up in the moment, making a regrettable mistake. A... bad joke that simply went too far.

A few months later your parents had finally narrowed down your list of suitors to one person, Seran Hara, a prosperous merchant. He was a few years older than you and quite charming, and from the chaperoned conversations you had in your family garden, he seemed to be quite compatible with you, with him happily advising you on your business aspirations.

You wanted to let prince Rei know of the developments in your life like he had wished, but the young man was sent away to the Empire of Lagon up north for forming new diplomatic relations, just as your wedding came around the corner.

Having no other choice, you entrusted what would be your final letter to a senior palace maid you were acquainted with, asking her to give it to the prince once he returned.

It was rather bittersweet, as you had to move away from the capital to the flourishing south-western part of the empire, where Seran wanted to bring his new business ventures to life and settle down.