| 4 | LEMON DROPS & DROP TOPS

||| EVELYN |||

After a full weekend day of sulking around the apartment and holding myself captive with reality TV and cookie dough ice cream, I force myself to get ready for a bartending shift for the first time in a while.

Usually, an eight to ten hour soirée of lining up shots and watching strangers chat with each other can get my mind off anything. Especially since I get paid for it.

I can't exactly sit around in wrinkled clothes and messy hair, contemplating life decisions to figure out what I did to deserve a fading Vein.

Also, the more distractions I can establish in my life to evade the inevitable, the better.

When I walk out of my room dressed ready to go, I am met with a questioning glare and an equally surprised voice.

"You're bartending tonight?" Cici questions me as I walk into the living area, standing up from the couch to greet me. "It's gonna be busy as fuck, Ev."

I shrug, sitting down on the edge of the couch to zip up my boots.

"A girl's gotta make a living," I respond quietly, keeping no emotions on my sleeve. "I texted my manager — they know I'm coming through. Plus, Talia's working. She'll be stoked to see this face of mine."

Cici stops me from zipping up my last boot halfway, her face reading all tiers of concern.

"Evelyn, your mind is all over the place. You don't have to open tabs and serve drinks to level out..." She reminds me, taking my hands into hers.

"People lose Veins every day and carry on with life," I say blandly, staring off into space. "Doesn't mean I shouldn't do the same."

Cici nods in agreement, gently squeezing my hands. "I get that, babe. I'm only checking in. I can't imagine how you're feeling and I'm not going to stop you from what you want to do."

I give her a small smile. "Thank you. I'll see you in the morning, okay?"

"Okay. We'll talk soon, alright? Let me know if you need anything tonight," She responds, releasing my hands and moving aside to watch me leave.

Fast with zipping up my boot and grabbing my jacket and keys, I rush out the door before I allow Cici's words or my disheveled bed to convince me to stay.

|||

I'm a sucker for good music and drinks. The feeling of going out on the town. Not only is it an escape, but when you're able to provide the music and drinks for others out on the town, there's a distinct pleasure in that.

Veins motivate escape, always guaranteeing booming business for a bartender.

I simply aid the experiences of others with alcohol content and a pretty face to look at.

I crave being a jack of all trades, from whipping up bar cocktails to serving at formal events. Normally I bar hop, keeping tabs with two or three local house managers who need coverage at their spots. Same goes for fellow bartenders.

Tonight, however, I need to ease back into the swing of things... while still feeling at home.

So I smile slightly at the irony when I walk through the back door of Remedy, my home away from Cici and Barker's Books. The bar I got my first official bartending gig in and never left.

According to locals, Remedy is known for its colorful strobe lights and music, decadent lemon drop shots, and the most beautiful queer bartenders in the city.

I'm only quoting the critics. But after years in the industry, it feels like truth.

I make my way through the freshly-bleached kitchen, finding a spare locker to shove my jacket and bag into. Lastly, I secure a gold watch on top of my sleeved left wrist to cover any sign of my Vein fade.